Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Monday 23 March 2009

Love, English, and the Wolf at Raleigh India





(Above: Shenola, Mani and Liz with the children at Jagankorte school in Kalaianahalla)


Country Programme Manager Mark Ashby, Administrator Lucy and photographer Anni have just returned from Alpha 2 where the eco-sanitation gang are cracking along with their 15 units.


Yesterday the team had the day off and headed to the Golden Temple which Hamish described as an "awesome" experience.


Mark said the Alpha 2 troops had also been painting the English alphabet on the walls of the school where they are staying during their down time, to help the class learn the alphabet. The team have also been to a high-school in a nearby village to help students who are due to undergo English exams shortly.


But that's not all from "team toilet", they have also been fixing up the school playground. The picture below is of a climbing frame which, when Raleigh first arrived in Kalaianahalla was on its side and covered in rust.

Now the green 8ft tall construction is loved by the school's 30 pupils!


(above: Mark, Lucy and some of the pupils at the Jagankorte school)


As for the other Alpha groups...

Out at Alpha 4 it's been pelting rain a fair bit, resulting in Will Jaggard asking Fieldbase to use the endless power of Google to look up the words to "mud, mud, glorious mud", presumably to sing while they're digging irrigation trenches.

So for the benefit of our readers, here is the chorus from not-the-Disney-version of the hippopotamus song, with a link to the full lyrics if you really want them (thanks Zoe's Wrinklies for sorting me out on that one):


“Mud, mud, glorious mud
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood
So follow me follow, down to the hollow
And there let m
e wallow in glorious mud”


(Above: Sopha gets a quick pash from Tom D and Chris in Alpha 4's now-notorious swinging "love chair")

The gang out at basha city have also been getting a bit amorous, with the creation of a “love chair.”

The chair, built entirely from bamboo, string, a stretcher and creative genius, is the latest construction from the troops at Anaikatty and it can even swing, although reports are it sounds a bit tenuous when in motion.

Tom De Wilton also nicked Anni's camera and came up with a few rather creative photographs...
Thank you kindly to Zoe's Wrinklies for tracking down the link of the picture the lads were replicating here. apart from being the other way around, I thought it was a pretty good effort!

Meanwhile Alpha 4 has taken a trip to an elephant sancturary today and are expected to take a hike tomorrow to check out the region surrounding their campsite.




(A4's strongmen from left: PMs Neil and Peter with CPM Mark, Parthi, Tjebbe, Sophia, Ed K, Chris and Sreejith)

On to Alpha 3, where the Fieldbase informants have told us that the Wolf of the Werewolf game (a very popular card game) made a guest appearance at their dress-up party, cleverly disguised as Emma Wood.

Frankie went as Little Red Riding Hood, Roo dressed up as Eve and Becca donned a turban to go as Aladdin.

But the best dressed had to go to Flash-dance’s own Jo Davies, a self-confessed child of the 80s.

(Holy disguises, Batman! Frankie, Jo, Roo, Sarah, Becca, Alex and Ed dressed up for a party)


Tomorrow a loop vehicle will leave Fieldbase to do a circuit around Alpha 4 and 3, arriving in time for an inauguration ceremony of Alpha 3's 14 houses for the members of Kappikadu village.

Rumour has it they're also planning a bin-bag party (not for the inauguration though!) so expect some photos of funky creations early next week.

And finally, on to our trekkers who are in their final days of transport upon Shanks's pony. Last night they caught up with Ivan and Anni on the loop at the spectacular campsite at Vagamon, so again, there will be some photographs coming back.


The bad news is they got absolutely drenched yesterday, but the good news is Anni and Ivan took pity on them and cooked them dinner, so they will be well-fed for their second-last day of trekking today.


And finally, at Fieldbase:


Andrew spent this week digging a hole as part of a fire-pit upgrade.


After 10 hours toiling in the blistering sun, Andrew was advised that the fire pit location was
undesirable as it upset the Vastu (kind of like Indian feng shui) of Fieldbase quad.


So yesterday, Andrew filled in the hole… then dug another hole, precisely two metres from the first hole, which was fine according to the Vastu. He’s since filled it with concrete. Andrew has become a one-man Alpha group.

Re-reading this blog, it looks like it's all just been fun, games and parties out at the Alpha groups. Let me assure you, they have been working incredibly hard!


The groups have been working to ensure the Kappikadu houses are finished on time for the opening ceremony this week, the elephant-proof fence is up and functioning to protect both elephants and crops around Anaikatty, that the 15 eco-sanitation units for this phase get done on time to make sure each family in Kalaianahalla has access to appropriate sanitation, and they have been trekking up and down the mountains of Kerala in sometimes very tough conditions.


As Phase Two nears it's end, the venturers are now staring down the barrel of their last phase with Raleigh India. Let the adventure continue!


Oh, and finally: birthday wishes!

To explorer Fiona Applewhite, happy birthday from everyone at Raleigh, especially all the recovering Phase One Alpha 1s! We hope you have a brilliant day.

To Andrea, from Peta...
Happy birthday, I miss you heaps. xxx

17 comments:

  1. To Emily J
    Can't believe yet another Monday! Sounds as though all is well but look forward to further news and PICTURES of Alpha 1. Well done all the workers and walkers! Lots of love from Mum & Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zoe, talked to Aunty Lu last night and ok for 25/26 Apr so can you confirm all ok on Friday or via blog and we'll book tickets.

    luv Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxxxx

    for PRO Peta
    re the guys putting up a fence pole - the picture you want is the raising of the US flag at the Battle of Iowa Jima in WW2. Example of this below....that'll be a bottle of that Shiraz you like so much as a consultation fee!!!!!!!
    http://www.davidstuff.com/historical/iwojima.gif

    cheers

    Zoes Wrinklies

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was Matt I would either sue for deformation or ask Liz to prove she does not snore. Alternatively claim it is a previously unknown wild animal that sleeps outside on Matts side of the tent. There is no truth in the rumour I snore. Good to hear project proceeding, its about time Matt did some physical work. He is good at thinking but not much else. Good luck to all of alpha 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Jo D in Alpha 3 - I am back in London. All our family in Colombia send their love to you. They are following the blogs, so be aware. Chandler was happy to see me and finally has been trained not to wake up people in the middle of the night because he wants to go out or in or to have company while snacking. I think having your dad looking after him has done good to him. I'll be sending the contacts for you tomorrow morning. I woke up at 10am this morning and I was supposed to be at work at 9am. I received your letter and it made me very happy. We did notice that family came after Chandler so we have finally realized our position in the pack. Love XX MUM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, second message on the blog today but I'm not letting whoever wrote above

    "So for the benefit of our readers, here is the chorus from Disney's hippopotamus song etc" get away with it!!!!

    Disney, my foot!!! It was Flanders and Swan in the 50's/60's who made this so famous and for the benefit of of Alpha4 and Alpha1 too going by the report, here is the full unabridged version

    SO

    tune up the vocal chords, guys and LET RIP (Zoe, get the Alpha1 Choir sorted).

    cheers Zoes Wrinklies

    The Hippopotamus Song
    A bold hippopotamus was standing one day
    On the banks of the cool Shalimar
    He gazed at the bottom as he peacefully lay
    By the light of the evening star
    Away on the hilltop sat combing her hair
    His fair hippopotami maid
    The hippopotamus was no ignoramus
    And sang her this sweet serenade

    Chorus:
    Mud, mud, glorious mud
    Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood
    So follow me follow, down to the hollow
    And there let me wallow in glorious mud
    The fair hippopotama he aimed to entice
    From her seat on that hilltop above
    As she hadn't got a ma to give her advice
    Came tiptoeing down to her love
    Like thunder the forest re-echoed the sound
    Of the song that they sang when they met
    His inamorata adjusted her garter
    And lifted her voice in duet

    Now more hippopotami began to convene
    On the banks of that river so wide
    I wonder now what am I to say of the scene
    That ensued by the Shalimar side
    They dived all at once with an ear-splitting sposh
    Then rose to the surface again
    A regular army of hippopotami
    All singing this haunting refrain

    Chorus

    (Extra verse:)
    The amorous hippopotamus whose love song we know
    Is now married and father of ten,
    He murmurs, "God rot 'em!" as he watches them grow,
    And he longs to be single again!
    He'll gambol no more on the banks of the Nile,
    Which Naser is flooding next spring,
    With hippopotamas in silken pyjamas
    No more will he teach them to sing...

    Chorus

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Alpha 2
    I hope you aren't all passing cement like Matt! If you have a spare moment, as accomplished masonry professionals, you could run up a pink wendy house to stop Matt feeling home sick. I believe that Matt was also partial to the odd pink bunny, so postman pat is on his way.
    What a great idea to paint the alphabet and restore the climbing frame.
    Well done Zoe's Wrinkles, you have earnt that bottle of Shiraz. Matt's Mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. To: Zoe's wrinklies
    From: PRO Peta

    Thanks guys - twice. First for the painting reference, next time I'm in the UK the shiraz will be coming in your direction.

    And secondly for correcting my wayward attribution of the Hippo song. Gahh! I should have Googled that first before I wrote it. Woe betide the badly-researching journalist.

    Peta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alpha 1
    Remiiii!!

    ello gorgeous hope your alright and have recovered from being a bit poorly!!
    Im Sending you a letter tomorrow so you should get it soon! Missing you loadsssss! I watched P.s i love you last night..... not a good idea to watch without you lol! I Hope you remembered to send your mum a lovely letter for mothers day and put some petals in aswell :).
    Fix your phone so we can have a much needed phone call, or try and find another internet cafe so we can skype! I’m going into London tomorrow with Lucy as she’s off to Spain next week. Were going to watch hairspray and have some much needed retail bonding time.
    Keep safe and having a great time!!!!!
    Love you loadss
    Jess
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tom d

    Love the swing seat! Can you make me one when you get home? I have posted your requests today Monday 23rd so hope it gets to you. Not sure why all our other letters are not getting through to you. How was the elephant santury? Hope you are learning how to cook a good curry then you can come home and teach me! Dad had a good 49th birthday!! - he wanted a Bill hook as a present?? He took your landy to work with him and gave his collegues a ride in it a lunchtime!
    Hope you continue to have the time of your life!!
    love Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Admin Lucy
    Thanks for the Elly postcard - I'm jealous you've seen them!

    I was in the Lake District (Wasdale) last week on a working holiday with the National Trust. I can now lay hedges and build stone walls. The weather was absolutely gorgeous - I've got a tan and freckles. I'm just hoping all the hedge laying injuries (well many many many little scratches) go before the weekend and the McMarrington wedding. I hope you don't mind but I'm borrowing Gordon as a dance partner - he doesn't know this yet though - for the wedding do.

    I'm so envious of everyone out there in India - maybe I'll get a chance to do something similarly fantastic in the future. Saying that though - I have to say I'd glad I have proper access to yummy chocolate and last week I had rather lovely local goat sausages.

    I will send you a letter later on this week.

    Kimberley xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tom, Angus here. India looks amazing! It looks like you are having a brilliant time and all the photos are amazing. The light painting one of "raleigh" was well impressive, beth saw it and thought it was great. Back home its been chaotically busy. I was doing west side story last week which went really well. Then there was celebration evening which kayte and I presented. We went out for a lush curry yesterday for mothers day at 4500 miles from dehli which was georgeous. My driving is going well, landy is holding up well. Wat is transport like out in India? Hope you continue having an amazing time. Angus xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. for Allie Legge

    Hi Allie,
    this is my 2nd try as I made a mistake on posting comment to you. How is the 'toilet troup' doing? I must say that you are doing things I never dreamed of; and we are anxious to hear all of your experiences first hand. I read about your painting the alphabet on the schools' walls which reminded me of a project done in Africa. Gaga and Andrew return today from fishing and golfing in the Bahamas. had dinner with Jen in Boston a few nights ago and she is fine. Spent a night with Rach and the boys, and they go off to school with their monogrammed back packs on wheels---it is so cute. Still busy working on the house and teaching Tina not to dig in the garden. Sending love and hugs from afar, Baba and John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sarah it's Nada
    Hope your having a great time!!!
    The extra attention is great lol...jokes.
    Nice outfir for the party lol.
    Love your lil Sis xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. To: William Jaggard

    I never know if these posts go through so please disregard if you already read it...

    WILL! Mud, Mud Glorious Mud!!! you're hilarious...I can just imagine you having the greatest time ever playing in the mud...I hope you're dry now though.

    I got your postcard today...you remembered that Tigers are my favorite animal! You're the sweetest. And those drawings on the bottom were fantastic...random but great! haha

    This is the craziest week of my life...I am incredibly stressed with the election (I don't know if you got my letter yet but I'm running for Student Gov't President) But Sunday is my BIRTHDAY! I wish you could be here with me but I know you're having an amazing time. You were right about the politics though...I can't be mean and I dont want to be..

    I can't believe you sang and danced with the villagers...well actually I can totally see you dancing with them...singing though? Silly Willy. I'm sure it was better than the Chinese Karaoke in Jingshan Park...although I'd give anything to go back with you and hear horrible chinese pop. The Savoy sounds divine...but more my place than yours...The service in Tamil sounds fantastic! I hope you're learning some language and culture.

    Armin Van Burren was in D.C. this weekend. I didn't go but I thought of you. On a sad note, Man U lost 2-0 to Fulham and I am not a happy girl...but then I got amazing tickets to see COLDPLAY!!!!!!! So all is good with the world haha. The stars were beautiful and bright out tonight. I made a wish for you on the first one I saw. I'm sure you're still having an amazing time. It's hard to push yourself but I know you are strong...stronger than you think. I'm sending you all my strength as well so I hope that helps...haha.

    I don't know how long it will take you to get my letter but I'll be sending another one very soon. Until then, stay strong and live in the moment. You're incredible.

    All my love,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Tom it's Jonboy

    Looks like you are putting your engineering design to good use with the bashas and lurve seat. Went up to the tree house at the weekend, one sofa was full of water, so I might patch the roof up a bit for you. Finished putting the fence round the trees to keep the deer out, but definitely not heffalump proof. I've been taking Gus out for driving in the Land rover - he's doing well.
    Good luck on the treck - are the boots wearing well?

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Zeb
    Look forward to Fri and Mon to catch up with what happening. Good to get your card today 24th march. Its seems that your post takes a lot longer than ours. What do the tea plants smell like? We are all fine here. Counting the days down till the easter holidays.Mimi is back getting Dom to drive her everywhere.We're off to New York on the 9th April.Is it fairly cheap eating out in the towns? Enjoy the rest of the trek and raft trip.I will write again, missing you Love mx

    ReplyDelete
  17. sophia
    a little less time on the love swing, and little more time doing manual labour i think. it's not a holiday camp you know! heard from jessticles today, said she spoke to you! v jealous. hope the plans for travelling are looking up. stick in the middle of essays at the mo...soooo dull, but parties at the weekend (yay!)
    sorry i haven't sent you a letter, am v useless big sis. mum has the maudslay stamps by the way, expect one to be winging it's way over the oceans soon!
    all my love (massive cuddles to neil and frankie too please!)
    g
    xxx

    ReplyDelete