Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Monday 13 August 2012

Venturer Messages 3

The Loop is finished and I'm back at Field Base. Here are all the messages to home that we collected during our five day round trip to the three foxtrot groups. Enjoy...

From Camilla Tricker to Lisa Tricker,

Heya, good to hear from you. Yep, I’m having a really good time. Oh God, photos sound awful although Anna and Helena have much worse photos due to my incapability to pull nice faces when the camera’s around. I’m getting on really well; finished my jelly beans today though. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Lots of love. Camilla. P.S. The number is 5004841514 Xxx



From Patrick Scott,

Hi Dad, Sorry about taking so long to reply. Now that we’re on the project phase, there aren’t many chances to send messages! I’m in Foxtrot 1, which is one of the community phases, so I’m pleased that I got the project I wanted. At the moment we’ve completed two toilets and most of the others are nearly done, so we’re making good time!

As I expected, the kids follow you around everywhere – I’ve got some quite good photos of them, as well as loads of the landscapes, houses and the like. The village we’re staying in is called Biddarahalli and, as also expected, there are loads of cows around. There are also a lot of scruffy and very annoying dogs, which makes me appreciate Cody all the more!

We’ve got a couple of days off now, which is nice and we’re going on a trip to a Tibetan monastery and a nature reserve tomorrow. Next week is Independence Day as well, which I’m told involves a lot of celebrations and a parade, which sounds exciting!

Good to hear about Alex’s job interview; hope it goes well. Looking forward to seeing the new and improved front garden when I get back too! I don’t know if I’ll get a chance to write again before leaving as we’re off on the adventure phase in a week’s time so, if not, I hope everything goes well until my return. See you soon! Patrick.


From Victoria de Giey

Coucou les Potes!

Je sais pas si vous venez souvent sur le blog, mais c’est le seul moyen pour que je vous donne des news! Vous etes en Belgique?

Ici, on bosse beaucoup - on a construis 7 toilettes. On bosse de 9h du matin a 17h. Hier, on a rencontre des femmes du village – c’etait dingue! Sinon les enfants sont geniaux!

Bref todo va bene! J’espere que Oscar est ok au Canada,

Love Vic.


From Anna-Josie Linighan

To Caz,

Mummy, I miss you! Nobody here is washing my clothes or eating my food – what is this? I hope you’re OK sans moi, though you’re probably not. I imagine you to be spending each day weeping upon my bed. When do you go to Turkey? Have a great time. India is wet and the toilet situation is killing me. I’ve never craved Shrewsbury so much. I keep eating so I won’t come back skinny or tanned India food is nice. When I come back:

• Please put the new Cosmo on my bed

• Have some peanut M&Ms for me

• Make sure we have lots of bubble bath and nice soap.

• Will you also bring my phone (charged) and my leopard print wedges to the airport please?

Tell Chabz I miss her so much and I’m looking for the best presents in the whole of rural India for you two. Love you so much, even though you need to learn the difference between “your” and “you’re”. Anna-Josie XXx

To Dad,

Thank you for your message – gutted I missed Ennis The Menace! Well done to my boy Bolty too. I hope you are ok and wedding plans are going well for Chloe. Is it ok to buy Reece cigars? I’ll get you some too. I really think it’s appropriate. I’ve made some nice friends and I put up my own tent! But I miss England. The whole ‘not seeing my cat’ thing is not on. Have a fab summer. Love, Anna. XXx

Dear Batman,

Getting your message made my day! I miss Twitter so much. I haven’t yet found Arthur but I’m going to a nature reserve so maybe I’ll bring your one from there. Your results are soon – I hope you do as well as you deserve to. Glad you enjoyed your present and please, make sure you use them. I have 2 traumatic experiences to tell you about, including some live fowl. I also have an embarrassing story to tell you which you will no doubt amuse you. Have a brilliant summer and I miss you x 1000. Love, Anna XXx

From Helena Sutcliffe

I hope everyone is well and having a great time in France/at home/wherever you all are! My project (Foxtrot 1) is FANTASTIC and we are staying in the school house in Biddarahalli.

Building toilets is hard work but very satisfying once we reach each roof and the masons are all very nice. The children are all adorable and we play with them after work and teach them handshakes and stuff – my name has now changed into ‘Ilini’, which is an interesting new development!

We went to the women’s self help group meeting last night, and it was incredible to see how much they had achieved in their work – they give out loans for school students and farmers and try to make a better life for their children. Tomorrow, we are going to a Tibetan temple with monks and also a nature reserve so we are very excited! Lots of love, Helena.

P.S. Thanks for all the medical advice – you’ll be glad to hear I’ve been swimming in tons of stagnant water and not a hook worm in sight! Also, for results, it would be great if you could ring the head office in London – easiest way for it to get out here. Xxx

From Fran Barron

Hi Mum,

I’m in a village with children and loads of cows. I’m staying in the local school. I’m writing this on the 9th August. I might see elephants tomorrow and other animals. I’ve only seen loads of brown frogs and birds here. “Snake” Shyam was cool. I got loads of pictures to show you. We have finished about 7 eco sanitation toilets. We will get to paint them at the end. I’ve written my name in one. I’m with a great group. I do miss western toilets and showers and my bed and of course all of you. Oh, poor you with your wasp sting. It was friendship day in India today. I had a cooking lesson with our chef. The food is really good here, and I can teach you a few things. Working on toilets is hard work but very rewarding and I’ve learned a lot about myself and how to change other people’s lives. I love you loads, Frangipani (as I’m called here). Oh, by the way, when I get back, could you make me a steak with a jacket potato and green beans with loads of love – Frangipani Xxxxx

From Lars Mejnertsen

To Fam. Mejnertsen,

Firstly, I’d like to say that I am very offended that you would refer to Munga like that! He is a valued member of F1, and that monkey has been through a lot in his life, so calling him a creature is just plain rude 

Anyway, I’m doing well. Not been ill yet, though I have a bit of a cold. At the project phase right now, and have built 7 toilets to date (9th Aug). Living arrangements are good although we have a makeshift shower and toilet. There is a reservoir nearby though, which gives us a nice refreshing swim after the work.

It’s been a bit rainier, which has been a problem with drying clothes, but luckily my scrubs are still dry.

Hope everyone is ok

Lars


From Nasim

Hi Alex,

Thanks for all the messages. I love them all. I am so glad you’ve ordered your stuff; have you ordered any stuff for me? How much did you get from zoo and what did you get? You said that you start on the 4th – is that August? How good is the Scottish team and are you starting? How is training going? The village is very nice and I am getting on with everyone very well.

I loved your chess story – best message ever. See, I told you it is good. I definitely need some relaxing and I can’t believe that you decided to have a game by yourself. I bet it was boring without me. I told Mitch (the blog man) about what you said, and he laughed. I am loving the message thought. I am also loving the Olympics update. It makes me feel like I actually know what is going on. I have got the message from Mr Walt because we went to Maclikari and I accessed the internet. I hope you get a positive answer. Tell your mum thanks for her lovely message and I am looking forward to seeing everyone. I haven’t got any messages from my family, which is upsetting  I think they just don’t know how to work it  I ‘ve been having such a good time. Have to stop writing now, or Mitch’s fingers will erode. Try to answer all my questions and write me everything. I will be able to get them around the 18th – that’s when we go on the adventure phase. Could you please date everything at the end so that I can read them in order without having to guess. I miss you sooo much and I can’t wait to see you. Love you loads Xxx

From Laura Hamlin
Hi everyone! Thanks mom for the birthday wishes. I got a cake a card, and a banner from my friends here. Things are really good here. My group gets along quite well and we have been working hard building toilets. The weather is really mild, and there are hardly any bugs. I eat curry and rice every day. I can’t wait to eat home food. My arms and hands are covered in henna – we had a little party and everyone decorated themselves. Trek/Adventure phase starts in a week. I’m really excited. Miss you and I’ll tell you everything when I’m home. XoXoXoXo Lots of love.

From Emma Vos

Schatje wat een leuke blog berichtjes! Ik schrif dit berichtje op dag dat we 20 maandjes hebben! Denk aan je en hou super veel van je!! Xxxx


From Lauren Board

To Emily, Lucy, Jessica Bate and Lauren Snook. Thank you girlies for the messages – it made my day today to hear from home people. And really wasn’t expecting to receive a message from Kos! Hope you are having an ace time and got lots of gossip for me. Can’t believe you have actually been stalking me – love it! Can’t wait to see you when I am back. 28th of August – be at my house around 4’o clock please. Gutted you can’t be there though Lu! I am building toilets right about now. Lots of Indian love. Lauren Xxxxxx

To gran and the rest of the family. Thanks for your message – was so unexpected. Didn’t even realise you knew the address. Well done for using the internet, Gran – I’m scared to see what the pictures are like I haven’t had any make up or straighteners thanks. Mum and Dad, thanks for your heartfelt letter...or not! Hope you’re having good holidays and all get back safe! Lots of love – Lauren Xxxxxxx


From Ella Preece

Lily Filmer – Hey Lils, so good to hear from you, Filmers! There aren’t wasps here really, but there are some giant flying things and, from time to time, I have a freak out! I’m actually being very brave here. There are cockroaches and rats where we sleep but I’m coping. Looking forward to the stop! Joe’s cousins are very friendly but eat insanely spicy food! No big spiders yet, Ollie, just lots of chickens and cows.

Mum, Ruby, Tab

Glad all’s ok and you’re keeping Tom busy. Got all the messages today – was so good to hear from everyone. Glad you’re sleeping/enjoying Legally Blonde. I know – so glad I packed those shoes – lived in them! Think I’m getting muscles from all the lifting I’m doing here. Have the stupidest tan ever – milk white legs but top half tanned. An ice cream van came to the village – was so amazing. Having an icecream meant I could skip one curry and rice. We are all doing a music video as well, so that will go on but not sure when as not shot it yet. Don’t worry about me, I’m getting on now and we are like a little family. Lots of love – Ella Xxx

Uncle Neil,

Yes, we are working very hard and the heat makes it a lot harder. We have had many different foods and their tea is called chai. Love, Ella x

Tom

We are doing the same pretty cool stuff and tasting different foods. Our village is very nice. All the people are happy to have us here. Lol, thanks for being polite – miss you too! Heard we are doing well with the medals. Hope you’ve enjoyed going. Miss you lots. Hugs and kisses Xxxx

 

From Sophie Eaton

Hi Mummy, Daddy, Phoebe and Will,

Hope you are all well and that everything is good at home! Flushing loos do seem like a luxury now as squatting is beginning to make my legs ache!  I needed another tee shirt as I wouldn’t be able to survive. That is so good that Will caught his first fish with his rod!!  I am so jealous the fencing was good, I would love to be there. Yes the heat isn’t too bad so it is all good. It has been raining here a bit. The place is really nice – all the children love saying hello to us every morning and afternoon.

Love you lots and see you soon. Miss you! Sophs Xxxx

From Katie Robertson Macleod

Hi Mumma,

Very impressed you can “blog” now! So nice to hear from you. I am in Hagaranahalli village at the moment and it’s pouring with rain. It is such a sweet village and the eco sanitation units are going well. Now that the weather is cooler, it’s easier to work. The people in my group are lovely; last night we had a really nice send off for one of the project managers in the playground of the school we sleep in. Lots of candles, incense, treats, game-playing and henna applying.

I’m making a fun film which I’ll show you when I get back. Can’t wait to see you all soon.

Loads of love. Katie Xxxx

Next time on the Raleigh India 12I Blog: Patrick gives us an update from Foxtrot 1!











17 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Graham
    (foxtrot 2)
    Hi Beth
    I'm still no too conflident of this blogging and seem to attach the comments to random entries. I hope the moderator has picked up on that or you'll be getting very few messages.
    i've just been reading the messages from the foxtrot three contingent and assume that your lot are having a similar experience. How are you getting on teaching english in your spare time?
    I was looking at your picture and you seem to be wearing flip flops - did we get you some in the end or have you picked them up in India? What language do the locals speak and are you picking it up?
    Got James to help me haul a load of branches to the tip today - cut back loads of bushes. Zac still tired and guinea pig still alive. Having pizza for tea tonight as the freezer has partly defrosted leaving some random food that has to be eaten.
    Look forward to hearing from foxtrot 2.
    lots of love mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello Anna good to see you are doing ok although you appear to need to work on your tan! Cigars are fine. Mum and Chabz's flew out on 11th and are back on the 26th ( kinda guessing the return date) so she will be at the airport waiting to cry into your arms when she sees you. Make sure you enjoy every moment you have there. Love you loads. Dad. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Katherine Lees Foxtrot Two
    Hi Kat hope things are progressing well with the project and the sanitation units are taking shape. No blog from you but i have read the blogs from others on your team to read what life is like for you all you seem to be working with a good dedicated team of young people. All well here managed to get some olympic tickets on the friday for the satuday. It was an unbelieveable experiende. Saw the hockey match in the river side arena then watched Mo win the 5000 meter final on the big screen fantastic atmosphere. Had Dave for lunch yesterday he`s hand his hand operated on and it was his birthday made some parkin which he enjoyed so did we!Been down to your house also they reassurred me your rent has beeh paid in!
    Max being a good boy although got lost in Belton woods and was picked up by a kind man who rang us to collect him!
    Jon`s been offered a job in Boston not sure if he will accept still wants to work in Leicester
    Me and Dad are looking forward to our hols
    Love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. To: Patrick Scott, Foxtrot 1.

    Hi Pat. Thanks for your newsy post. We're really pleased that you got the project that you hoped for and that your team are on target to complete all 15 units. It must be a very satisfying experience. I will look forward to seeing your photographs. I'm a little intrigued by your visit to a Tibetan Monastery. I didn't realise that Tibetan Buddhism was practised that far south. Sounds like a fascinating day ahead!

    Alex got the job at Millet's - only part time but it's an income for him while he formulates longer term plans. The Olympics were first rate and Team GB did fantastically well finishing 3rd behind the US and China with 29 Golds and 65 medals in total. The TV coverage was very good. As a consequence I have watched far more television in the last two weeks than I have in as many months. So I'm behind with my last assignment, again! Doh!

    Can't wait to see the photographs on the blog - and your Foxtrot 1 update!

    I'll close now so here's hoping that you guys keep on target and have a fantastic venture phase after all the demanding project work! Cheers for now, Dad & Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Lauren Board, sorry for not writing on here sooner only just found out this place has free WI-fi! Get back on Wednesday/tomorrow, not as tanned as I was hoping to be though! Hope you're still having an amazing time.building toilets and enjoying your self, can't wait to hear all about it :). Oh got you another present today and read 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' too haha. Miss you too much! Glad that you can't forget my face! Lots of love andspeak soon hopefully, your amazing and wonderful boyfriend xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Richard!
    (F3)
    How are the bugs, food and guitar?
    Hope you are well and having a great time! An interesting fact, we are third in the olympic medal table! the closing ceremony was really good and you would have liked Queen. we are having a good time: sunbathing, sea & ice creams!
    love & hugs
    B.E.A.- Mum&Dada xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sophs, Loved getting your message and glad you're having fun. Would love to hear some more details of life on the project next time you write! Will and I are doing are Day Skipper Theory this week. It is mind-blowingly intense. We have got brain strain from concentrating; lot of maths too which you wouldn't like. Daddy is in Australia - and Phoebe is doing Cowes week. They had a man overboard on the first day - he got pulled off the boat by a flying spinaker. I would have had a nervous breakdown. Love you lots and lots. Mummy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Nasim
    From ahmad
    Hi hame khoubim hale to chatore inja hame khoub hastan az to khabary nist ma khastim az tarigh viber ba to tamas begerim valy netevanestim man mobile jadid gereftam v mitonem ba viber ba hat temas begirm
    Khoda hafaz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frangipani foxtrot 1

    Darling frangipani , as you are known around the world! So pleased to get your message and do jealous! It sounds like you are having a great time. That you are seeing lots of amazing things and animals! Looking forward to my cookery lesson, but will have that steak and baked potato ready for you! I had two messages about baby arrivals yesterday! Rosarios daughter had a little girl nearly a month early early and diodes had a Humphrey !!!! Ben and I picked up the furniture from grandfathers house on Monday - chaos reigns with stuff everywhere! Today am visiting the mill- all not going too well there! Just the usual! Louis has finished cleaning and says he misses it! He has a few days at the Paralympics - trying for tickets but think sold out. Then we head to Amsterdam on Sunday for a few days- staying on a house boat! Will take lots of pictures ! Tati and cats all fine! Chickens so noisy in the morning in their house they wake me up vvv early!!! All quiet at home- London pretty empty. Sening you lots of kisses - keep up the good work and pat a cow for me! Hoping you saw the elephants?!!! Sooo jealous. Lots of love mummy cxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Nasim Nejabat, Foxtrot 2:

    Hey azizam,

    Its Wednesday and I am exhausted. I have had quite a week so far! I’ll begin with Saturday =]
    I had my game that I was telling you about, they were a good side but we beat them convincingly! The game was split into 4 sections of 25, 25, 15 and 15 minutes. I played both 25’s and the last 15. I was surprised at how fit I felt. It was still hard work to say the least but a lot easier than in the past. My dad was raving about how well I played haha I must have done well because he is usually my biggest critic!!
    Sunday was the usual stuff like working and dealing with idiots but I was in agony from the game lol just stiff! I heard about some overtime on the Online Shopping department for this week so volunteered for it. The shifts were Monday, Wednesday (today) and Thursday, all of them 6 AM to 10 =] really early lol
    Monday came along and I managed to peel myself out of bed and drag myself into work at such an ungodly hour haha I finished work and went to the gym but didn’t go to training due to my “nackeredness”. Oh yes, my mam and dad decided to go up to the cottage for the week so I’m on my lonesome =[ anyway, here’s the juicy bit, Tuesday arrived.
    It was just a normal day then I went to training and was having a good session until we did some contact and me being me, managed to clash heads with someone and got a GORGEOUS split on my eye! Measured around just over an inch long and nearly 1cm deep just below my eyebrow. So off to the RVI I go lol I got dropped off by one of the lads and I got there at 10pm. I wasn’t seen until 12, even that was just to assess my eye! I then had to wait another hour to get the stitches in lol then that took an hour to do because of how bad it was. I ended up walking out of A+E at 2am with 11 stitches in and a 6am start at work lol you can see whats going to happen here! Yup, you guessed it, I slept in and missed my shift at work. Boy, were they angry but I think once they see my eye, they’ll understand! So now, I’m sat bored out of my mind in the kitchen with the rain smashing against the window basically waiting to go to sleep for my shift in the morning! So all in all, quite eventful =]
    Now to answer your questions =]
    1. I haven’t ordered anything specifically for you but I did get a few hoodies and I’ll have loads of shirts.
    2. I’ve ordered loads of shirts, tracksuit bottoms, hoodies, 2 pairs of boots, trainers and some other little things.
    3. I started on the 11th.
    4. The Scottish side were pretty good. I started and got 65 minutes all together.
    5. Training is going really well and is getting harder every week but I’m feeling fit.
    6. Yes my game was unbelievably boring. First chance I get, we are having a game when you get back!
    Ok, it’s time now for your Olympic Roundup =] Great Britain finished 3rd in the Gold Medal Table with 29 Gold, 17 Silver and 19 Bronze. It was the most successful games for GB in around 100 years. Iran came 17th! They got 4 Gold, 5 Silver and 3 Bronze. Most of them came in the wrestling and weightlifting lol The whole 2 weeks was amazing and I’m not being biased but definitely the best Olympics I’ve ever watched!
    Anyway, I miss you soooooo much! I’m always miserable =’[ hope you’re having a fantastic time and I look forward to hearing back from you gorgeous!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Louise Garlick

    Hi Louise!!

    Hope you're having an amazing time! Have been checking out your blog and it looks awesome! Can't wait to hear all of the stories you have when you're back, sorry I haven't written you a message earlier, have been working working back here in London, don't worry you haven't missed anything, weather is temperamental as always and The Sting - well nothing ever changes there, although Samantha is leaving at the end of this month!

    Oh and Agata is 4 months pregnant!! Haha thought I'd just slip that one in there.

    Got back from Cyprus a few weeks ago, so I was tanned, but no longer :( and back to standard old England now, part time again so no more 40 hours till next summer, woo!!

    Anyways, just wanted to give you a message to wish you luck for the rest of your stay, I'm sure you guys are all doing a great job and can't wait to see you when you're back, gutted I won't be able to see you straight away when you're home, but soon after we will have a massive catch up, would love to hear how you're getting on if you get the chance to reply,

    Lots and lots of love from London, take care,
    Jena
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maria, Theodoros. Panikos16 August 2012 at 18:29

    To: Niovi Antoniou, Foxtrot 3

    Dear Niovi,

    Hope all is well. We are following the reports on the blog with great interest. We wish you the best of luck with your project.

    We are all doing fine in Cyprus. Miss you loads and can't wait to hear about your experience once you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elizabeth Graham, foxtrot 2

    Hi lizzie!
    Hope you're still having a good time. Cant believe your nearly half way through now! Its flying by! Hope your project work is going well.
    I have had a few driving lessons this week since I am now a member of the 17 club :) sooooo scary! There is so much to remember and learn. But no crashes yet so all is good :)Doing something for my birthday tomorrow, if only you could come
    It was results day today as well. I am over the moon with mine, could not be happier! :D Hope yours are good and that you did great in politics again. You dont have to wait till you get back to find out do you? Well I have my fingers crossed for you
    Again, hope your ok and that everything is good there
    Love sarah xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. To Frangipani Foxtrot 1

    Just a quickie to say how wonderful it was to see you in the photo! Hoping you did see the elephants and that Independance day is fun. Have you named any of the cows?! Hoping you are taking lots of pictures. All very quiet here! In fact London is very quiet! No traffic jams! Still moving my Indian furniture around but have a home for the black and white cabinet. Am hoping to get the big cupboard in place this weekend. You will notice a difference when you get home! Biggest kiss tell me if you have seen monkeys?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Miriam, Foxtrot 3,

    I hope all is well with you and you are enjoying the adventure stage of your trip. RDS this week and all the usual suspects are about, Katie met Vincent and he said she was even better looking if that was possible!. Cameron delighted with himself as he gets to go swimming in the pool ( he really has not got the RDS yet!) we say a special prayer each night for you. Missing you lots and looking forward to the news and especially the photos from Foxtrot 3..
    MumXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. For Steven Dhiman Foxtrot 1 ?
    Hi Steve we read the blog most days no message from you as yet, However we are sure you are well and are working so hard . we are very proud of your groups achievment thus far. Gary brought is dream car it broke down after 2 weeks SO FUNNY !!!!. Your expidition will soon be over but the memories will last a life time. Take care love Mum and Dad See you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. To Louise Garlick

    Hi Louise!! So I'm going to give this message thing a second shot because for some reason the one I sent last week still isn't showing up :(

    Anyhow, hope you're having an incredible time!! Just wanted to send you lots and lots of love from London! Looking forward to hearing all of your stories when you're back!! Hope your next few weeks continue to be great!

    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete