Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Monday 4 July 2011

Messages from the alpha groups

Hi all,


Here are the messages from people here on expedition. I hope you enjoy them. 


Charlie 1

From: Kat Rosen
To: Mum and Dad

To Mum and Dad, just to let you know I have arrived safely and am having a great time! So far have completed practice trek of 24K, which I really enjoyed. Tomorrow I am leaving field base and I am starting my community work! Hope everything is ok at home?

Lots of love, Kat

From: Catriona Duncan
To: Uncle & Mum

This may be my only blog for sometime but I just wanted to let you know that I’m off to Kotapadi for my community project. I will be helping to build four loos and lay foundations for a house for the local families. I am not leaving till Sunday 3rd July but we were told that there is 100 people with around 30 children. Aside from manual stuff we may be teaching English over the 18 days I’ll be away. I am looking forward to starting this phase, seeing the community and their faces when the work is done... it is all very exciting but as always I feel nervous starting anything new as you both know. I am gradually adapting to life in India, eating curries, making camp etc.

 The basic way of life is fun but also difficult when you’re sharing with 13 others. Can you imagine 13 using one or two long drops!? We will be living in the heart of the village and visiting the local villages on our days off, yay!

Getting selected for this phase was an experience! All the main project managers were dressed up in feathers and used drums to set the atmosphere for selection of our project and the people we work with, far from the Hogwarts sorting I expected. Needless to say it was great fun. We got our faces painted in different colours to represent the different projects. But it all remained a mystery because we weren’t allowed to have our eyes open. You will probably see some photos on the blog. Can’t wait till I can write more during changeover on the 21st July. Until then I send you both lots of love and think of you always,

Miss you Catriona x

From: Struan Borase
To: All
Hi Guys,

It’s my last day at field base and we’ve all had a great time trekking and learning what we are going to do and how. Our groups for the first phase were revealed this morning in typical dramatic style. We all sat in a circle and closed our eyes and the PMs came round playing drums and painted our faces with different colours and then we opened our eyes and saw our team mates. I am really happy with my group and my PMs and I got on the project I most wanted to go on which is building a house and toilets in a little village called Kotapadi which is right on the border between Tamil Nasu, Karnataka and Kerala so it’s really good that we have host country venturers that speak Tamil and Kannada. I suppose you guys are still up in Ardern? Hope the building works is going well.

Struan

From: Thomas Leggat
To: Mum and Dad

To Mum and Dad,

Hope you are all ok. Having a well good time, the food is so good! Miss you all, give my love to Fleur and the boys.

Tom

Echo 3

From: Katia Philip
To: Friends, Family and Boyf

Namaskara! All I can say is that I’m well happy to be here! I got the first taste of India as a fly on the wall on the bus to base and it’s nuts! I’m very excited to get involved and experience what India can share with me. Off on a two day hike, waking up at 5am tomorrow so have just finished packing with the bare essentials (which are heavy and large). Learning more about the projects we’ll be working on and I can’t wait to live in whichever tribal community I’ll be allocated to. At base all has been great, today was boiling and tonight I’ll sleep under my mosquito net in what only looks like a military camp with other mad people like me. Had my first shower this morning which consists of a one large bucket and one small bucket of cold water-waheey.

Love you all so much and thinking about you all a lot. Hope the UK is treating you all well. Ali I hope you’re getting on the graff trip and you’re doing good – enjoy your week next week. BAAARE kisses! KGP

From beautiful India xx

Echo 3
From: Katia Philip
To: All those spesh people

Well I’m off on my environmental project tomorrow! Very excited as hope to do a lot of community work at the same time. We sleep in self-made hammocks outside and get to swim after a very long days of digging elephant trenches all day! Just back from a massive trek and now walking like a granny with broken joints BUT had an amazing time walking through villages, meeting the locals  and their adorable children that ran in swarms to warmly greet us, I have never felt so much warmth as I have done from the Indian people. The scenery is breathtaking and very green. Have been eating very well and I get excited for what curry I taste next here at base, however from tomorrow we will be cooking our own food on camping stoves in the wild outdoors! Hot and humid and getting more cloudy and I imagine eventually wet, got a nice tan though. You guys can’t imagine how much I miss you all and I think of y’all whatever I do. Take care, will ring on the 21st July.

Much love, Katia


Tango 6

From: Emma Williams
To:Andy, Mum, Vicky, Jade & Co..

Hi Andy, Mum, Vicky, Jade & Co...
 
Thank you for your message, I posted you a letter today (mum); Andy I still need your Khon Kaen address and telephone number. I have been selected to go trekking first starting tomorrow (Sunday) - so 19 days of sore feet but amazing scenery to come.
 
Having a great time and will speak/write to you all soon. Love you.
 
Emma

PS. I have an internet day on 21st July so Andy I need your home phone number and you both need to make sure you are home because I will be skyping! I can't wait to tell you about what I have been doing :) 

From: Louise McStravick
To: Ya Peeps

RE – ‘Ya Peeps’
This is very mysterious and vague. Identify yourselves as ‘ya peeps’ could mean any number of people and I am without any other forms of communication.
Ramsey if you are reading this hope all is well, sent you a letter. Missing you. Lalalaaa.
Louise x

Foxtrot 1

From: Isy Foster
To: Jules, Mum & Dad

Hey Jules, Mum and Dad,

Thanks for message- so good to hear from home so keep it up! Glad your internship is going well but I can guarantee you I am sweating more in this heat! Trek went really well: went through small rural villages where everyone would just stop and stare at us with our massive rucksacks. Mum don’t worry I am being good with my hygiene and even did my washing today! No Imodium used yet!  We’re off tomorrow to our project site. I’m doing the community phase so I am building sanitation units. In a rural village called Ponani- great name! Can't wait to get out there and set up camp rather than being continuously on the move. I’ll write again when the vans come round with the blog posts, shop ect. Keep writing though! 

How’s dad? Keep up the good work in London - I hope you’re being 'nice' although I highly doubt it! Stay well all, and pass on my love to Nana, Grandpa and Auntie Kate.

Love you all lots, Isy xx

For Alice B 
So good to hear from you darling. I'll do my best to leave my mark ! How was Spain and when are you off to china ect? Hope it’s amazing- I know who is out there at that time so all I can say is be good. Love you lots Izy xxx

From: Alice Bayfield 
To: Everyone

Hi everyone!!

Its crazy- I’m actually in India. Defiantly has not sunk in yet but it is absolutely beautiful. Our training has been a crazy rush. We have trekked 25 K in the boiling heat. (sweatiest I have every been) yum! 

I have made friends with everyone in my group really well - ten hours walking does that. I'm on community project- Yay! Thanks for your blog messages. I have received them and please please please write as many as you can and tell me what you’re up to! Think about you all the time, it’s amazing and wish you could all see it ! love you so so so much, all of you! Xxxxxx

ps. Mum please don’t worry about me- I’m happy and smiling, oh and our phones are now locked up so I can only blog which will only be occasionally when the loop comes . Please do get everyone to write as it’s so nice to receive messages!

35 comments:

  1. Looooooooooooouise McStreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezy!!! Hope ur well. I dont rly understand this messaging ting so i dont know if ur gna get this but i will be sendin u a letter sooon. I jus got back frm that cornbury festival this mornin im in brum now. Didnt get that many hours tho so was a bit of a waste of time. It was a very middle aged/middle classed festival aswell but was still quite fun. I got ur txt wile i was ther aswell, cheered me up wile i was working :-D missing u lots. Hope u get this. Have a sick time ill write soon. Love Ramsey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's green and has wheels?...
    .
    .
    .
    Grass...I lied about the wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thomas

    Its Dad here. You seem to be having a great time. I knew you'd love the food LOL!

    You wimped out a bit with that snake, I thought at least you could have held a proper snake like a Cobra or a similar deadly poisonous snake ;o))

    Take care and hope to see more pictures of you soon, but not in compromising positions.

    Love Dad XXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Alice Bayfield 11F
    Well Bee it looks like you are in safe hands. What was I worried about!!
    Love You
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Alice Bayfield Foxtrot 1.

    Lovely to get your message Alice, mum just beamed when she saw it. We all wish we could talk, but this is the next best thing.
    Your trek looked fun, if not exhausting in the heat... More fun than sunny Devon..
    Still three weeks left of term then the fun starts for us.
    Ned got lead in the school play.
    Harry's been to London today.
    Mums pottery is going really well.
    We are all playing lots of tennis...
    So nothing new...
    I have an exam tomorrow, ??? I know Madness..
    All the family send their love and are looking forward to the photographs and stories....
    Love you Lots...
    Take care..Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Celia Craven, Tango 5

    Weather turning cold and wet here - Charles on exercises in the middle of Wales will not be happy. Have you had tropical rain yet? I hope not like those KL storms! I've been checking the med school emails; nothing new. Interesting youtube videos on the course - have you watched them?
    Charlotte went to a fantastic 21st on Saturday night. She was swimming at 5am in the pool. Her kind of house and party.
    lots of love, mummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. For Rachel Stott Foxtrot 1, Expedition 11F

    Hi Rachie

    How is it going? We saw a message that may have been from you! Did you enjoy the 25km trek? Now you must be in your village project and hope that is going well. We are at the flat with the boys who are both on work experience and Chas is strufgling to get up early!

    We miss you loads and I am counting the weeks till you return! Have a wonderful time and pls blog again when you can

    Mum and Dad xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Ana
    Charlie 1

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you are having a fabulous time and have a special day today :)

    Big strawberry kisses and hugs, gxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. For Celia Craven Tango 5

    Is there anything you need sent out from UK to have on arrival at field base? Found a few things here that I don't know whether you meant to pack or leave behind. Just checking before we go move Grandmother.
    lots of love, mummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Isy Foster, Foxtrot 1

    Hi Is. It was great to see your blog and to know that you'll soon be a sanitation unit expert. Will they be short, medium or long drop? It sounds like it's hot where u are .. Back home, Jules's brain is over-heating (mathematically challenged by algo-trading). I went shopping with Mum for a replacement (..) 21st party dress - first shop, we bought a dress, top, belt and matching handbag and were in the wine bar in 20 minutes, and mum hasn't taken them back!!! How bout that. On the subject of the party, any words you can email me for my speech would be good (though they'll be rather public on the blog). Or I'll make something up, like you love him and wish him the best. Missing you lots. Take care, have fun and get dem units completed on time and on budget. Love from all of us. Dad xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mummy Bayfield5 July 2011 at 23:30

    For Alice Bayfield Foxtrot1 Well it looks like everyone has beaten me to writing this week. Fantastic to hear from you, big relief!! Showed BB and GD the photos and we all had a little tear! They are so proud of you. Hope you receive a little 'present' which is winging it's way to you. All yummy things including chewing gum - can you believe I actually bought some!!! Enjoy XXX I'm about to book in at Loobie's for our B and B for London, can't wait. As for everything else, school is still pants, Uffculme is great and I'll be helping do the scenery for the play - huge flowers and swirly colours - Fab!!! Keep smiling xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Rachel Stott Foxtrot 1

    Hi Rachie hope you are getting these -we are not convinced! We have not seen anything from you on this blog yet but hopefully soon.
    We spent yesterday on the KR and thought of you! Also met Helen Walters and visited a rather dull museum (Adrian of course loved it haha). Tonight we are going to a play, with Chas, about the Suffolk strangler! Also as Adrian is preparing for an interview (charity post) I will just have to do some shopping, so boring for me....
    We have sent you a card in the post so hopefully you will hear from us somehow. Hope you are really enjoying India - we are able to follow your progress on this blog so know you are currently in Ponani and it all sounds very beautiful. Expect your feet hurt after the long trek at the weekend but what great exercise!
    Lots and lots of love
    Mum xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sophy James and Adam6 July 2011 at 16:39

    To Alice Bayfield Foxtrot

    Alice!! It's Sophy and Adam here :) we aren't sure we've got this blogging thing down to a tee yet, so fingers crossed you get this! It's si weird and yet amazing to think you are actually in India now, I can't believe how far you have to walk in the heat...luckily we know how determined you are so we are sure you are fine, even if you are sweating buckets!! What is your favourite part so far??

    Everything is great here,but just the usual really, nothing too exciting, I've moved out of halls finally, and adam and I should get our results soon, aaaaah!!!

    Anyway, we are very happy to read that you are having such a fantastic time, can't wait to hear all about it!!! Lots and lots of love and hugs,
    Soph and Adam xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sophy James and Adam6 July 2011 at 18:05

    To Alice Bayfield Foxtrot 1

    Alice!! It's Sophy and Adam here :) we aren't sure we've got this blogging thing down to a tee yet, so fingers crossed you get this! It's si weird and yet amazing to think you are actually in India now, I can't believe how far you have to walk in the heat...luckily we know how determined you are so we are sure you are fine, even if you are sweating buckets!! What is your favourite part so far??

    Everything is great here,but just the usual really, nothing too exciting, I've moved out of halls finally, and adam and I should get our results soon, aaaaah!!!

    Anyway, we are very happy to read that you are having such a fantastic time, can't wait to hear all about it!!! Lots and lots of love and hugs, Soph and Adam xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. rachel stott! when we saw you could post and anon comment we got really excited. we envisaged a massive prank on a huge scale, writing very familiar messages and signing them your secret admirer,add a lil mystery to your trip! eh? eh? eh? ahaha purrrr. i hope your having a lovely time, sooo jealous. looking forward to you "comin' home" and hearing all about it! love cc and rc xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. For Alice Bayfield.

    Hey beautiful girl,

    So I totally just posted on the wrong page. Oops. Oh well, it's here now ;) So Community Project! Wow! Thats so good. How is it going? Ive sent you a card which should be winging its way across the pond to you soon. Look forward to my wedding rambles ;)
    I think about you all the time. I bet you are the MOST amazing volunteer ever. Keep going girly. And know that we are all so proud of you for this doing this solo and making a difference to others.
    I love you the most though. Petey sends his love too.
    We looked at Fishponds yesterday for a venue but it was fully booked for next summer. But we've found a few other places around that we're looking at this weekend so hopefully we'll find a good one so we can get down and celebrate...next summer! ;)

    Love you always princess.
    Cant wait to see you soon.
    Rachie x x x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Thomas

    Spoke to mum on saturday, she told me you were off to India and getting a flat when you are back home. Looked at your blog, you look like you are having a great time out there, any chance of sending me over some grub!!! Look after yourself son, speak to you soon,
    Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. To Kat Rosen, Charlie 1
    Hi Kat you look like your having a great time. Everyone smiling in your group photos, fantastic! No surprise that your group were first back to camp, I bet they didn't know what hit them with you leading the trek :-)

    Glad to see you conquered the Indian snakes as well, bet your glad they didn't bring the spiders though.

    All well at home, everyone is missing you and send their love.

    Dad & Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. To Louise McStravick

    Louise - ya peeps - nicola aka the best sister in the world !!!! And why are you writing to Gordon and not to me and us you know ya peeps. Am very offended !!! We are off to Darlington this weekend, me, mom, carl, hope & Isaac to see nana so should be good. Also i have had triplets just in case you were wondering .... I didn't think you got my last message and wasn't quite sure whether I was doing the right thing !!!

    Isaac is not at nursery now so fun and frolics and all ur stuff is at the heart foundation lol !!! Not really ... anyway you know I never got tht money you know from ur breadbin - not sure what happened there ?!

    Anyway hope would like to write to you so please keep in touch xxx

    lalalalalalala and more lalalalalala
    Nicola xx

    aka ya peeps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fao Louise mcsTRAVICK

    FURDERMORE - why di backside are you missing gordon and not us e? Fesity !!

    Dad sends his abuse with love x

    lol

    ya peeps x

    ReplyDelete
  21. To Rachel Stott Foxtrot 1, Expedition 11F

    Hi again Rachie - sounds like you should get these messages soon! Hopefully one from the Christies too. We are looking forward to hearing from you.
    Still in London but it is now pouring with rain so not so much fun. Charlie still on work experience, and has enjoyed his time observing operations!! He is struggling with long days though - has to be at the hospital at 7.30 and was there till after 6pm yesterday.
    We went to a play last night which was interesting - set in Ipswich, in the area of the Suffolk murders, exploring the community's feelings about the whole thing. Sort of set to music as well. Charlie did not think they were that good at a Suffolk accent.
    Going home tomorrow and then the flat is rented out again until you are here in August.
    How is it all going? Did you find the trek hard at the beginning and are you enjoying the village work? Are you becoming an expert camper? Hope you have stayed well and not got too many blisters or found the rucksack too heavy! You will be sad to hear that you are missing the last Harry Potter film which comes out tonight but sure you will see it soon.
    Hannah is at home but has had a problem with the hens continually escaping!! Gaye still moving ahead with the house so fingers crossed on that. Grandma sends her love too, and the boys
    Love Mum and Dad xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Donna Dunbar(auntie)7 July 2011 at 17:49

    ASHLEY JOHNS ECHO 3 11E FROM Auntie Donna Dunbar and family. Hello, hope your having lots of fun and working hard digging those toilets. We all missing you, we've just had our chips and cake, and thinking about you. Take Care and will send another message soon, here's ye mam now,hello bairne,hope you are well and keeping away from those snakes,dont think u were immunised against snake bite,everything else but.Yer Grandas back from his hols and had a great time ,he s been asking about you,catch yer later bairne love ya
    yer mam

    ReplyDelete
  23. For Alice Bayfield Foxtrot1 [11F]
    Hello Beeeeeeeeeee,
    Hope you are ok, really missing our long random chats! Can't wait to speak to you and catch up.
    Everything boring here without you!!
    Love and miss you loads.
    Will XXX

    ReplyDelete
  24. To Katie Roberts (foxtrot 1)

    Katie it is lovely to see you enjoying yourself so much, it all looks fantastic. Everyone is really enjoying following your travels. Hope you've not needed the poncho too much. You won't have much time to rest when you get back as off to mexico on 2nd August. Looking forward to seeing the next photos. All well at home and we all send our love.

    Dad,Mum and Matt

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fiona Marchbank8 July 2011 at 11:28

    To Christina Ambrose (Foxtrot 2),

    CHRISTINA, u crazy girl I can't believe you are back for a 3rd time building EPTs!!!!! I hope you are having an amazing time, I know you will be. I am very jealous. How is Ravi and Jana?!

    I'm still in Australia - loving it, but I think come September I might be ready for home so thats a nice thought too.

    Random story - I went to the dentist and was told I need 3 fillings, never had one before, so i'm blaming all the Chai, Parle G's and Hide and Seeks!!!!!!!!!

    Ahhh, see you at home wee man,
    love from your Scottish pal,
    Fiona. (Echo 3, Charlie 2, Tango 6, 4ever)

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. To Ana (VM), Charlie 1,
    Hello, AniBunni, hope all is going super well, people not getting sick & bitten, mozzies leaving you alone.Am back from Nairobi/Mombasa/Kampala. Good trip, the only problem will be catching up with backlog. Today is Diana's birthday, will call and sing to her - sent her an orchid, bubbly and chocs as it's 1/2 a century! Keep well, have fun. All my love, mmmxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. To Isy Foster, Foxtrot 1

    Hey Is!! Hows it all goin?! Hope ur all trained up so i can get you a job on site when you get back!! Everythings ticking along nicely in Esher!! Whats the camp that youre living on like?! Hope ur nt gettin eaten alive by insects nd tht ur staying out of trouble!! did you enjoy the trek...did d of e prepare u well? Hope this gets 2 u...i know livs had troubles trying 2 send one!! Miss you lots!!
    love Rich x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Alice Bayfield Foxtrot 1
    Alice you would have been so proud of Ned tonight. First time on Stage, 1 weeks rehersals sang beautifully in front of 1200 people in two sessions... Just like you and Harry before him, he wow 'd the crowds....
    He is off cycling to France tomorrow.
    Harry and B say Hi.
    Mum and I are so proud of you all.
    I hope you are passsing on skills to the locals and learning new one... Indian cooking Yum..
    We all Love you Lots

    ReplyDelete
  29. For: Rachel Stott, Foxtrot 1

    HELLO,

    I have no idea if this is going to work.../ Maybe sending another letter (yes if you get this first you will be receiving the first EVER hand written letter by me) would've been more sensible. Anyway I've just spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out what to do so i really hope you get this...

    I LOVE YOU

    And thought you may like a bit of english amusement out in the east... Got a text from Hayley on friday asking me if I wanted to go see her dad play in his band... Turns out her dad plays piano in Europes "biggest" David Bowie tribute band. 3 years of keeping that quiet.... Anyway kdawg me nd her went was jkssss (laaaaahts of middle aged music lovers) But we missed ya.

    Hope you're having a great time!!!

    Lots and Lots of Love Caro xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. For Alice Bayfield.

    Hey beautiful girl.
    How is the trek? Thinking about you so much. Its a really sunny day today and Katie and I have been sat in the garden together feeling like someone special is missing! I was so happy you got my card! I hope you appreciated the Emma Bridgewater touch....
    Well, we've set the date! So get yourself ready for 28th July 2012!!!!! And we've booked the venue. The corn barn :) yay! And its so beautiful....
    Haven't started much planning yet (waiting for my other bridesmaid to get home from her expeditions!) but when you get home we can get our organisation on! :)
    I love you so much. And am so proud of your strength and heart to serve other people.
    I love you x x x

    Hey Babe! It was so amazing to catch you online today! I'm so so so sorry that i haven't blogged you sooner. Rachel and I really wished you were with us in London the other day. we went to the National Art Gallery, saw the sights and had some good drink stops! It really feels like someone is missing. Just not being able to text and not getting your nice messages with lots of kisses is so strange! I think you are gonna love the postcard we sent you ;). I've been home since weds and am going back to Watford for my last week of working on Saturday. Which will be strange! But then I have the festivals. Hopefully i'll see you in the first week of August when you are well rested, fed and clean! Haha. We'll have to do something really nice together! I cant wait to see your pictures from your indestructable camera. I bet your pretty darn brown too! Keep pushing on girl... your gonna do this and your gonna feel so amazing for it. We cant wait till your home to us, but love you loads!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Lamby ;))

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mum to Amy Donegan15 July 2011 at 04:01

    To Amy Donegan - Tango 5

    Hi there, girly with the soaked wardrobe of clothes and footwear. I said you should have taken some spares!! Hopefully there will be something dry back at base camp.
    Mark has just sent you a blog - with his own brand of humour - typed a lot more but then pressed a button by accident and deleted it all!! Actually that was probably a good thing.

    Torchwood started tonight - John is back.

    Time is going really slowly here, but I guess you are so busy and caught up in so much that you don't get the chance to think about time. Mark pointed out its just four weeks until your return. I can't even begin to imagine what you will pack into the next four weeks, but I feel it will be worthwhile and completely fulfilling - and I don't just mean with curries.

    I have also now passed your blog details to Michelle, Auntie Janet and Annette, so hopefully you will be getting some messages from around the country.

    Keep well and I am thinking of you all the time. I want you to know I am so very proud of you. Continue to enjoy every day.
    Love
    Mum XXXXXXOOOXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  32. For Alice Bayfield Foxtrot 1

    Hey Ali Cat, just on my computer and was thinking of you. Im playin at a bar in Watford tonight. And i saw the new harry potter yesterday... you will love it! Can't wait for you to be home... only 12 days now. Love you. Keep on keeping on. You're nearly there! love you!! katie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. To: Amy Donegan - Tango 5 from Mum XXX30 July 2011 at 20:17

    To Amy Donegan - Tango 5

    A week has now passed since your final project began. I am hopeful that you are keeping dry as living-in with a family and you will have somewhere to take cover at if the rain falls too frequently. How is the building coming along? Its a tough call to build a house in three weeks but I am sure it will be done efficiently and brilliantly leaving a monument from all the Tango 5 team with their tireless commitment for the families at your village.

    I heard back from Jean and Paul and they have sent you a blog. You should receive it this week. They sing your praises, as have everyone I speak to about your amazing journey. I hope you have received many blogs from those who remember you back home.

    I also heard from Yasmin's mum. She is back in Dubai and hoped to catch up with Yasmin soon and me on her return.

    Mark now has a Blackberry Playbook Tablet for work. Having fun with the set-up!

    Will blog again soon. Thinking of you every day. Take care and enjoy every second.

    Lots of love as always.

    Mum XXXXXOOOXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  34. To Amy Doengan - Tango 5 - From Mum XXXxxxXXX6 August 2011 at 05:54

    To Amy Donegan - Tango 5

    Hello Amy, I will be having such a different day to you tomorrow (Saturday), I will be driving to Kent to see friends and you will be digging holes, moving and carrying objects and completing a project for the future of a village that was unknown to you a few weeks ago. There has to be a story there somewhere to capture the special moments for future visitors. I have seen the photo of you writing in your journal and you looked relaxed and happy. It seems every venturer, whilst undertaking any of the projects, enjoy their time there, wherever that might be, and to be enjoying help make those lives better can't be all bad. I hope you capture it all.

    Being able to blog you and knowing the contents are handed to you makes me feel less separated and I hope when you receive my blogs you feel the same. Unfortunately, I have had to curb my writing as I always have a lot to say!!

    I can't quite believe that you will be home again soon, still buzzing with all those marvellous experiences. No doubt you are already planning a return as you have expressed how much you would like to visit India again.

    You mentioned in your note that your feet are healing. I am pleased to hear they are recovering, albeit slowly. Your earlier description of the condition was quite graphic! To consider this is something quite common there just adds strength to the reason why Raleigh exist; to aid discomfort issues as well as living conditions. I can only assume that it is just taken for granted that local people suffer similar infections as a matter of course because its part of their way of life. Whatever you do to alleviate this it awe inspiring.

    Sorry, just noticed time and I have to go and pack now, but I will write again soon. Take care if there is still lots of slippery mud around.

    Love and hugs. Mum XXXOOOXXX

    ReplyDelete
  35. To Amy Donegan - Tango 5 - Love from Mum XXX10 August 2011 at 14:55

    To Amy Donegan - Tango 5 - Community Project

    Hello Amy,

    The countdown has begun for the last week. I can't wait to see all the photos of your hard work and read all your writings telling the story.

    Weather is changeable here but the conditions will not be anything like you have endured for six weeks. Being the last week, you must be full of different emotions. Having made so many new friends and been a part of so much and now its almost time to wave goodbye. However, the upside is that you do have the memories and nothing will take those away. I am sure you will be talking about your time there for many many months; no, years to come!

    If you are not up-to-date with the news back here, there have been riots in many towns across England. London was targeted the worst with fires and looting. Mark's shop in Croydon had 800 bikes looted. He spent all yeterday there and the scene of his shop being looted was on utube. So much damage across the country. Basically children being bored and gangs forming to copycat each other. My opinion, they should be sent to places where they could defuse their energy and freely give it to a better cause. Learn to build not destroy and be given a chance to compare their lives now to others in countries that have nothing. Humility may actually be the way forward for some of them.

    Although nothing can compare to India and the devastation you have seen in so many ways, only you can see that everything you are helping with is creating a future for the families there, and the greatest testament of all is that when you leave another group will continue your project and further your progress to assure your names for the huge team that you have all become. How wonderful is that to take home with you.

    I am really looking forward to seeing you. Have missed you sooo much. I guess you will be leaving your village in the next day or so and that will probably be quite sad for you, but the legacy you leave will not be forgotten.

    Take care and we will speak soon.

    To say that I am so very proud of you cannot even begin to express it. Your whole journey has been amazing.

    Love as always
    Mum XXXXX

    ReplyDelete