Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Tuesday 7 September 2010

Raleigh recruits "Mini Medics" at Jayapura School

Here at field base we know that charity begins at home, and with that in mind Vijay, our host country venturer coordinator, and I, field base medic Louise, visited the local school here in Jayapura to start a programme of health education with the students.

The work has already started to improve hygiene standards at the school.  Last weekend Vijay took 12 potential host country venturers (HCVs) to the school as part of their selection weekend, to dig out the clogged drainage ditch where the children wash their plates after lunch. The children and their teachers were very pleased with the results.  Further plans to install a scraps bucket, so that unwanted food can be fed to the local cows instead of clogging the ditch, are now underway.

The pupils gather to show us their newly cleaned drainage ditch (bottom left of picture)
The local cows are ready to help us out with our waste disposal problem!
Today's aim was to introduce the idea of "Little Doctors" or "Mini Medics" to all the students at the school.  Two children from each class will receive training in health and hygiene, plus a mini hygiene kit containing soap, scrubbing brushes, nit comb, and a Raleigh "Mini Medics" T-shirt.  They will be responsible for teaching the other children in their class about hand-washing, keeping clean, cutting nails, combing hair, disposing of waste hygienically and keeping the environment around us clean and tidy.
The school assemble to hear our talk
The thought of speaking in front of 360 students would normally fill me with fear, but I received such a warm reception from the pupils and teachers that all my nerves were blown away with the enthusiasm for the project.  The pupils listened attentively as I introduced myself and suggested our ideas for the "little doctor" project, with translation provided by their teacher Mr Vaidhyanath.  When I asked for volunteers just one brave girl stood up at first, then other students joined, and soon there was a sea of hands raised in front of me.  The teachers helped us to choose 10 volunteers to become the new "Mini Medics", who came up shyly to meet me on the stage.  I'm looking forward now to our next meeting in two days time, when their training will begin!

Mr Vaidhyanath and I explain the project
Our new team of "Mini Medics"

In a few days we are expecting our 10E groups back to field base for the final wash up, a review of their time here, and the all important end of expedition party.  Venturers and volunteer managers alike are already signing up for the 10km fun run which will take place this Friday to raise money for the work we're planning at Jayapura school. 

So far the runners are:

Yvette Hutcheson
Jason Greenwood
Taylor Eve
Carole Griffiths
Will Whyles
Paul Mohan
Renjith
Daniel Cabral
Shona Bradford
Sacha-Li Franks
Anna Lavelle
Tom Pearce
Kyle Sharpe
Stuart Aitken
Boas Schraven
Louise Hyde
Anna Tate
Pete Diamond
Jenny Shotton

If you would like to sponsor us please visit our just giving site at http://www.justgiving.com/raleighindia to make a donation.  Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Shona, well you must still have a bit of energy left and hopefully some shoes to wear for the run. Hope you have enjoyed the third phase , it must be odd listening to the others talking about coming home when you are going to stay behind. Please let me know what the plans are. Take care hopefully speak soon when you are near a phone, Wedding on Saturday, Donald off to Dubai on Friday, will be back the following Friday. Love you lots Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Will, Good luck with the run!! I've just sponsored you. I'm in Granada for Kirty's 30th birthday. Nan and Grandpa are here too! Really looking forward to seeing you next week and hearing all about your trip. Love and kisses. Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fantastic project! I look forward to hearing more how it goes!! all the best to everyone out there xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary,this will probably be the last time I write to you on the blog.I have really enjoyed following what you've been doing and cannot believe your 10 weeks is nearly over.I've stocked up on Radox so you can have a nice long soak in a hot bubbly bath!! I can't wait to see you Monday.Enjoy your last few days.I'm very proud of you.Safe journey home.Loads of love.Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boas, I did send you through this medium a few lines at different times. I don't see them back in this box. Maybe I used Dutch language that the postmaster doesn't want to let pass, afraid of abusive content. So I hope you run in style and are worth my donation already made! I am proud of you and the efforts you oblige yourself, love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey yvette, it's siobhan here, Going for a run? Very proud of you, we all are. I can't wait to see you on Monday was thinking bout staying off school, but didn't you'd be too happy with me if i did that. Anyway miss and love you lots! See you soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kirsten SORRY CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT TEAM.
    How's it going, the weather is pretty cold over here, Scotlands got it quite bad not sure if Philip's goin to get home when he said. Enjoy your sunny? weather over there while you can, when are you home again? Have a great time anyway, can't believe your nearly home now.
    Love you
    Bev, Phil, Philip & Steven xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kirsten Elliot! Charlie 1 (I think :s)
    Hope all is well! Cant believe Im going to see you in 10 days!!! Hope your having fun!! So proud of you for doing all this and cant wait to hear all the stories! Hope you has a good birthday!! We've saved everything for when we pick you up from the airport! Love you millions and miss you LOADS!!! Lisa :D xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete