Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Wednesday 5 March 2008

Alpha Three: Chattamunnar Trek

By Project PRO Charlie Arnot

Raleigh’s first ever foray into deepest Kerala was a resounding success. Covering a total distance of around 500km in just 16 days was no mean feat and we all have the blisters to prove it!























Our first task was an arduous ten day trek through the stunning scenery provided by the Chattamunnar tea plantations. The team traipsed along river beds, through the endless paths amongst the ‘chai’ and managed to scale the second highest mountain in India, outside of the Himalayas. Covering distances in excess of 20km per day gave each and every member of the team the challenge of their lives. Yes, there were tears but to see some of the sights we have seen and to truly be the pioneers of Raleigh’s first ever trek in India more than made up for it.

Highlights included being welcomed into a local village and invited to try local fruit and vegetables. Aaron was even taken under the wing of the village elder and they exchanged addresses. We also found a glorious unspoilt waterfall where we spent a lazy afternoon amidst the dragonflies and finally, the carnivore in us all was unleashed after weeks of vegetarianism when the group bought, killed, plucked and roasted three chickens, with the help of locals and a secret masala sauce!





















The biking phase began near Periyar and was no less exhausting than the trek, even though bags were stowed in a support vehicle, the paths up the mountains seemed no more accessible.



























On the second day the total distance covered on two wheels was greater than 115km! The hustle and bustle of cycling a city was a stark contrast to our campsite on the banks of the largest lake in Kerala.























The following day we embarked on the last, and slightly more relaxing, stage of the adventure! With a mixture of single and double kayaks the team paddled their way along the pristine backwaters of Kerala. Miles and miles of palm lined, emerald rivers beckoned, with the chance to sample some of Kerala’s world famous fish curry on the way.





















The adventure came to end on a Keralan beach where some swam in the Arabian Sea, just five metres away from a dolphin – a fitting end to an incredible journey.





























2 comments:

  1. For Monnie

    Darling,

    It was SOOOOOOOOOO wonderful talking to you today and hearing all your news - it all sounds so fantastic - we are so proud of you - especially completing the biking!! I think I would have given up - please get them to do some photos of you - as it is your birthday - I just need to see you! Daddy was crying when he first heard your voice - JOKE - and I was crying when I put the phone down - BIGGER JOKE - now I'm just happy to know you are so happy and making so many wonderful friends. I will write to you today and let you know how I got on with Polly. Monty has just come in the room and sends lots of love - Lettice is snoring in her bed! Have a great party tonight - I will raise a glass to you birthday girl - 19years old - oh my gosh. Anyway love you more than 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 dachsunds!!! Hugs and kisses my darling love mummyxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monnie,

    I am not sure if I am doing this right but I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!!!! I have no idea how to contact you - so annoying! Mum is doing this blog thing and I dont know if I need a password or anything like that, so I am going to give it a go! I hope you get it and I am so missing you and our lunches and our chats!!!!

    Love you lots, Paige xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx By the way mums messages are the biggest jokes!!! xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete