Hannah FB medic here.
I had the good luck to join Helen on the last loop of 11J visiting Tango 5, Echo 3 and Charlie 1.
|Helen in Top Gun attire working hard in the office before heading out on loop|
Please find below, in true Raleigh review style, the highs (and very few lows) we experienced on the way....
- Johnny and Lavinia singing Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly" - amused by hearing that Johnny strums team sing-a-longs along whilst trekking
- Charlie's chuffed-ness after her request for binoculars to spot the wildlife from FB was fulfilled
- Lavinia's camp cooking - of course it wouldn't have been half as good without Jake's chopping and Steph's stirring!
- Ambience generated by team spirit - made me feel fuzzy inside.
- Sinterklaas parcel from Esmee's mum including a packet of pepernoten for all trekkers and loop members - thank you! Confused? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
- Another parcel - this time for Lavinia from home with birthday goodies
- Pamper evening for loop members including beautiful henna hand-painting.
|Esmee showing the loop how to draw beautiful henna designs|
- Leaving Tango 5 - I miss trekking with Muddy Boots!
|Tango 5, Helen, Hannah and the guitar!|
- Awesome campsite! Two-tiered amphitheatre built from bamboo around the campfire. Brilliant.
- Blind Date hosted by Robyn and Victor with the loop members doing the choosing from 3 screened-off venturers - answers a little too risque for the blog but suffice to say the first dates went well.
- Food - sweet and sour one evening, followed by banoffee pie with dessicated coconut. Next evening treated to egg noodles with a delicious satay sauce. Innovative use of Raleigh food!
- Music - 80s cheese and Mumford and Sons
- Escaping without head lice
- Again great team atmosphere in a homely environment
- The Safety game - yuk - Andy has a lot to answer for!
- The long drop - yuk yuk.
- Tangible hard graft had been done by the team in the first half of the phase with all 10 toilets nearing completion - good work guys!
- Shafi's chicken curry, fish fry and parothas - outstanding. The hours he spent in the kitchen were much appreciated.
- Playing "In The Box" and the team putting up with my being a stickler for the rules
- Wandering through Maligali and soaking up village life - seeing the process at the dairy whereby locals brought along their pails of milk, it would be assessed and weighed, a receipt for volume given and decanted into churns to be taken to town for sale
- The team having an arts and crafts session with the local kids during which they made an advent calendar
- Charlie 1 being the end of the loop and heading back to Fieldbase for the end of expedition!!
Hannah, Fieldbase Medic
Here are some of the messages we picked up from some of the venturers on the loop. Apologies if the Dutch is wrong, I tried my best to type it up. Helen
Blog Message from Elizabeth Gattrell – Tango 5
Dear the Gattrells!
Hi Everyone! Sorry I haven’t been in touch much. I am trekking in the jungle, it is really hard and I still can’t believe I am doing it. You would be shocked at the things I am doing and my manly attire. Can’t wait to come home for xmas and see you all, especially your outstanding progress mum, am really proud of you and thankful to all the family for taking care of you so well. I miss you all dearly. Met some wonderful people here, we all help each other through the hard times but sometimes you just want your family. Know what I mean! Anyway off to do some raft building and then onto the lake with the help of the FIT Indian guide lad!
Love and miss your kangaroo mum, all my love always, in all ways,
Just wanted to say how happy I am to hear you are doing so well. I really can’t wait to see all of your progress in action and to finally see you settled at home. I am missing you so much here but will have lots of funny stories for you to make even funnier. Have sent another letter home but I may get there before it. So just to tell you I’m fine and that I love you! Your braveness is living on in me throughout this, anyway i’ll be seeing you very soon, Lots of love
Jungle Lizzie xxxxx
Blog message from Emma Christopher, Tango 5
Hi Mum, Dad and Freddie,
Thank you for your blog message, it’s so good to hear from you and it was delivered to us on a day when I really needed a pick me up! I’m glad to hear everyone is well at home. I’m missing you all so much but not feeling homesick as there is so much going on here. It’s not long until I come home so I ‘m going to enjoy every day I have left. We are well into our trek now... it’s killing me! No , really! It’s such a physical challenge but the mental challenge is even harder. I have never felt so gross in my life, I stink! But so does everyone else so all is good! I cannot wait to see you all soon, lots of love Emma xxxxx
Blog message from Esmee, Tango 5
Ome Ab & Tante Nel,
Lieve ome Ab en tante Nel, Huub & Meckel,
De loop bracht vandaag onze post en bericht jes en daar zat een kaartje wan jullie by!Heel erg lenk bin wat van jullie te horen en bedankt voor het kaartje. Hier jchat alles prima, neg 7 weken en dan ben in alweer Heins :) Dikke kus Esmee
Ik heb miet veel tjd wu. Maar heel erg bedankt voor je lenke terberichtje Tim een vriendin, dat was een verrassing! Haha! Wel heel erg lenk. Graetje dan de fam en een dikke kus, Esmee
Lieve mama, papa & Lieke,
De pepernoten en het godicht zyn aangekomln heer! De gruep heeft ervar genoven. Ih wilde je een rief sturen maar die ben ik vergeten. Das die krijj je Vals in terzeg ben. Ook die van lieke is kwijt. Is die oor papa al gearriveerd? Ik sturr welee brief voor de meiden via jullie. Er zitten foto’s bij, dus dan kumnen jullie die bekjken! Ook een klein cadeanje voor fiek zik erbij. Alles eped hier. Na 2 dagen rash, want Stef kar niet verder en heeft even tydnodig I om bj te komen. Hert is eigenligh neit nwaar, meevalle dus, haha! Otja, kurinen jullie pepernoten mix bewaren, biodat ik die kan bakken als ik terug komi? Hopeligh gaat daar ook alles good , maar daar twigfel ik eigenlijk wief aan! Heel veel liefts en kassen! Esmee
Lieve Elien & Nienke, & nateuertjk de andere meiden,
Jullie kaartjes vyn helaas (neg) niet aangekoman (voor eline en Nienke) Ik ben nu 7 dagen op trek en het is echt heel erg leik. Ooh een dag gefitsk. Bergopwaards en dan racen naar beneden. Beetje eng wel, haha! Over 2 weekjes al weer henis, kan niet wachten on jullie allemaal weer te zien. Eline, is net gelukt met kaartje voor rauw & lauw? :)
Ik heb jeen tyd meer schatten! Dikke kus Es.
Ps eln nieuwe brief & foto’s is onderweg.
Blog message from Robyn Brooks, Echo 3
To Mum and Pops,
Hiya! Was so nice to get blog messages off you all last night, really good to know that you are all okay! Miss you both millions! Was thinking the other day about how nice it will be to come out of the Airport and see you all, I cannot wait! Hope your arranging my homecoming party;) Although, when you pick me up, no matter how far or close it is, we are stopping at McDonalds! Honestly cannot wait to see you, have so much to tell you all! Tell fat head I got his blog message, it’s taken him this long to write that one sentence! Some things never change, HaHa! Send Grandma and Bob my love, tell them I got the millions of messages and letters and I cannot wait to see them! Give Lucas and Lilah a HUGE kiss from me and I will see you all in 14 days! GET EXCITED! Love you all so much Bobbin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Blog messages from Lucy Shipp, Echo 3
Hello! Sad not to hear from you on the blog, but thank you for the mini birthday parcel. Am being very restrained and saving the post until tomorrow – it’s quite hard, they are snuggled away under my pillow! Having a lovely time by the reservoir; lots of swimming, a little yoga and massive amounts of digging. It’s nice to have a bit of personal space after the school in Malligalli. Our camp is really incredible – we even have a swing. Hope things are going will at home, not long now until I’m back – we already have Christmas decorations in the camp! Miss you lots, Lucy xxx
I was so happy and surprised to see that little envelope from you! I’m being really disciplined and not opening anything until my birthday tomorrow – I’m so excited to read what you’ve been up to! I’m also hoping that tomorrow might be my first hot and sunny birthday – wahoo. Went swimming in the lake today and bobbled like a mushroom should. Miss your face xxx
So excited for your new dance moves, I’ve been inventing some too. Loved hearing from you, missing your killer sneezes and happiness lots, but London not so much. Really happy to be here. Looking forward to seeing you in the soon-ish New Year. Love xx
Ahh! 2 parcels from you at last changeover – so good. We have pimped our camp and decced it for Christmas, with a lot of help from the advent calender. Fantastic. So much to tell, cannot wait to get back and plan some more adventures. Hope home is not as frustrating as it sounds, I’m sure you are remembering to have lots of fun too – look forward to hearing all about it lovely. Love xxx
For Julie Scheer’s Fam. Echo 3
Wat heerlyk jullie berichten en qedichten (mam) le ontuangen. Ons kamp hier is AMAZING! We hebben onze eigen chillroom gemazkt: I banken haha, so fyn. Ons bad her is in enorm lake, wat helaz ook ‘t bad is van de koeien, re wordt hier letterlyk nooit schoco. India is noq steeds waanzinnig, masr allos is zil redelys nokmaal wen it worden: koeien ipu auto ‘s Ryst, Smbar and porridge, Regenbuien die rivieren veroorzaken en de zon die meet zoeken, ‘t slepen in een hangmat onder in klamb de, engels and NI door elkaar (praat Englesin min slaap) muziek zu/7. Pieverds meet it kori howden, mzzr mail julie zondag.
Dikke x u jullie nzzns wit India.