Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Thursday 5 August 2010

The NEW Charlie One - Still Having Fun!

Charlie One - the new recruits - have now headed out to the community project in Koolal village.

The venturers, fresh from the trekking phase (Daniel, Gemma, Louise, Scott, Taylor  and Will) and those previously working on an elephant trench in the environmental phase (Benjamin, David, Grace, Murugan, Natalie and Yvette) have now combined into the new elite workforce of Charlie One. They are ably assisted by their two project managers Nick and Julie.

Here is their story so far, written by Grace, with just the tiniest tweaking from the blog writer.

This is immediately followed by some individual messages from some of the group members ...


" Charlie One arrived in Koolal in great spirits, having seen lots of elephants, including a family with a calf, along the way. We were greeted with clear views, and almost uncomfortable heat, and wondered what on earth the previous Charlie One group had been complaining about. They said it rained a lot!!

We spent the first day setting up camp and meeting people from the village including our new chef who has been cooking us lunch and dinner. This is a positive luxury for all the previous trekkers, and those that had come from the environmental phase, as both groups had had to cook for themselves throughout their phases, (or cut open a rice bag).

We have made solid progress on the school in just a few days, inspired by the phenomenal efforts of the previous group. By the end of this phase, we hope to have the outer structure of the school built and to have completed the roof as well. We've also been busy with camp craft, and made our rather muddy site* much more pleasant. We've made a shower of sorts, that might just keep the mud at bay for maybe half an hour.

* The rain finally did arrive, and has pretty much poured for a while now. Well it is monsoon season, but spirits still remain high!

A mosquito proof long drop has been dug out, and a number of pathways have been gravelled over. In spite of all the work going on, thanks to a lack of TV there is a surprising amount of time available in the evenings too. Though we could put our feet up and rest - we have played many games of werewolves, done lots of chatting with the village children, and have been singing songs with the children from Koolal village. We hope to build on the relationship established in the village by the previous group.

On Tuesday we celebrated Murugan's birthday, with Julie's signature dish of banoffee pie, ice cream and fudge sauce with double clotted cream, and chocolate sprinkles. (Blog writer says : I'm drooling ... OK I made up the bit after pie! It's frustrating typing up these scrummy food details). We are planning to do this special banoffee pie dessert whenever we have a suitable excuse .... luckily enough we already have another good excuse .... today is Ben's birthday !!! "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blog Message From Gemma Lyons

To all of my friends reading this (Siobhan, Beaney, Yvette, Joanna?)
Hope you are all well!

Thanks Yvette for the football update, and Siobhan - thanks for your blog message and well done for the volunteering! How is the job hunt going now? Hope it is ok. Have you got any plans for your birthday yet? We will have to do some belated celebrating when I get back. I haven't been able to check my email/facebook in ages but will message you properly when I can get online (this is a hand written message that someone at field base will type up for the blog). Anyway, the trek was really hard but I managed it. Now I am in a rural tribal village named Koolal, in the state of Tamil Nadu, where we are building a school. It is hard work but I am really enjoying it and the people are so welcoming - I love playing with the children and singing with them. Also, the monsoon rain hasn't been too bad over the last few days so I'm in a good mood.

I have learnt to cope with insects now - I even try to save them when others want to kill them. I EVEN picked up a stick insect because it was cute. I really like frogs too ...

I am getting better at mornings too. We get up between 5 and 6 every morning (!!!)

Anyway, hope you are all well - if you have free time you could look for jobs for me to apply for (ha ha)
Lots and lots of love
Gemma xxxxx

p.s. I saw 8 wild elephants the other day and one was a baby elephant.

p.p.s. It just started raining heavier - I think I jinxed it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Message From Taylor

Hey Mommie,

It really made my day to see a message from you on the blog :)

I'm so glad you learned how to work it! The food is O.K. I've gotten quite used to the curry every day. I'm on the community phase now. I completed my first phase which involved trekking 140 miles in Kerala. I've submitted to your request and made myself available in more photos. We're building a pre-school for children in the Koolal Tribal village and next I have the environmental project where I'll be digging elephant proof trenches to protect another indian village.

I'm really having fun, but I really miss everyone a lot! I know Boop moved yesterday and I wish I had the chance to call him before he left, but I'll call as soon as I can. My second phase finishes around August 19th, so I'll call home then. Give Granny and Chester a kiss for me and I'm still awaiting my hand-written letter!
:)

Love Taylor
xo

Mwah !

p.s. address :-
Raleigh India Field Base
Survey No. 210, 'Anugraha'
Jayapura village,
Mysore
570 008
Karnataka
India

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Message From Natalie

Hiya. Missing you all. I'm having an amazing time out here. Got a right T-shirt tan going on. Haha.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon and hope my letters are in the post     :)
Just building a school in a small community at the mo, there is mud everywhere, but I'm out here and loving it.

Love you all
Natalie

21 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie great to see you on the blog again, not looking as good as you were the other day when you were all dressed up. All this mud must be doing wonders for your skin out there just when i thought you could'nt get any dirtier you go and prove me wrong. It was nice to here from you the other day it sounds like you are having a great time out there, Dad says you should be a dab hand in the garden when you get back. I hope the new phase is as exciting as the last one was. Keep up the good work there is a letter on the way' look forward to keeping up with the blog so will keep everyone informed about how you are. Still so very proud of you love you loads from Mum xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie's mum again, forgot to ask if you charged your camera when you finished phase one. If you did make sure you take tons of photo's can't wait to see them all when you get back. Speak to you soon all our love Mum and Dad x x xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie. Big sis here. Loving the photos of you and hearing about what you're up to! I've sent you some mc moans with my latest letter thought you could do with a treat. Share them with the local kids too. Missing you lots and cant wait to see you. I can see from your pics that you've lost weight you're looking really good. Take care and keep up the good work. Have fun. Love you lots from Nicola and Dean xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyy this is for my bestie SACHA - LI haha :) . I miss you omg its hot in Bermuda. I downloaded the whole step up 3d album. i am upset i cant watch the movie wit ya. BTW ya friends miss you alot 2. I hope you have lots of funn. LOve ya much
    Nikhil ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace,

    Looks like you're having a good time in India. Remember to let us know if you've found a Guru, because we're not prepared for you to come back in a 'hanging out with Ravi Shankar' phase.

    Not much to report here. We are embarrassing other tennis players at Abbotts Park, which as you know, is saying something.

    Take care,

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Natalie just want to wish you all the best on your adventure. I saw you in the Evening Herald (local Newspaper)a few weeks before you left for India. Have seen your mum at Tesco and she told me all about it. Have a fabulous time and enjoy every minute all the best from Mrs Litherland from Langley x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello julie gee ivelearned to use the internet.rodney set it up last night and emma told me over the phone.im chuffed.i sent three parcels yesterday one by airmail.its good tobe in touch with you and hope you are having a brilliant time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Will. Great to see you looking happy and relaxed despite the early mornings, mud and rain. It all looks like so much fun. I've just been chatting to Tom, think he's planning to move on from the farm soon. EJ had such an amazing trip. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi TT Taylor mommie here!!!!!
    Happy to see you in the pictures Dale is fine just got a address from Ms. Burrows. Granny was happy to here from you and she said thanks for the jar. Chester got the message too. I dont see your UK passport yet is it getting mailed to the PO Box? Keep up the pictures I show them to granny. Make sure you loose some more weight:) than come and help me!
    Miss you too TT LOVE U I will let Papa see the pictures too. He just got back form his trip to Florida.XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Dave

    Missed your call yesterday, I was driving. :( Was nice to hear from you though! Glad you got the letter and sweets! :)

    Carole and Lesley are visiting at the moment! We were up really late talking about lots of uni memories, good times! :) Lesley has decided she likes walking now ... (I think it must be her age!)so she wants to organise a walking holiday with the original cornwall people and, I quote, "...have like compasses and maps and those hiking stick things ...." ... words of a passionate walker I reckon!!

    We're off to visit Emilie in Rye today...she's off to Afghanistan at the end of the month! Crazy!

    Look forward to hearing from you soon! Looks like you're having a really great time! :)

    Love xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Taylor,

    Your God-Ma is so proud of you I could just cry. Girl I didn't realize how adventurous you really are. Continue to have fun while gaining you experiences.

    Love u and I will pass the link on the Berne and Odell.

    Peace and Blessing to all of you. And safe Travel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Grace, trust you the become the group writer. Sounds like you're achieving a lot and having a great time. Can't wait to hear you're funny anecdotes. Hope you're wearing your Raleigh t-shirt.

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi everyone, this is a message for Natalie from her mum(lol).Just want you to know flight is all done have changed the date to 15th Oct 2010. You have to print the details from your hotmail account, but i have printed them off as well so will post a copy just in case. Was lovely to here from you keep up the good work love you loads Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grace youre building stuff?!

    Lordy! Keep your powder dry and all that plus follow all appropriate health and safety laws!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello David W,

    I assume that's you in the middle of the back row with a tan that looks the same colour as the mud or is it mud on your face :)

    Thanks for the facebook msg - yes however long a time seems it does eventually go quickly when you start working through it.

    Hope you had a nice day at the battery. Lots of Mega news going on here for you to catch up on when we next meet.

    Love

    Dad x

    ReplyDelete
  16. ->Grace

    Good write-up above. So you're still stalking Willy mason, eh? Your tickets are on order.

    Yer Da

    ReplyDelete
  17. for gemma lyons:

    hey gem! its ben!

    not quite sure if this is how i leave u a message?? i think you should have a word with someone from Raleigh about the usability of their website....

    as other people can see this ill try not to be too embarassing:

    martin oneil has quit as villa manager, joe cole looked impressive in his debut, and man utd beat chelsea 3-1 in the charidy shield final (that little mexican bloke scored by volleying it into his face - nice finish).

    hope ur still ok out there. come home soon for scones and clotted cream!!!

    mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey David :) what's this big news dad keeps going on about?! I see Mel wrote you a message and didn't put her name at the bottom, lol.
    Missed you on the phone this morning but mum says you have a phonebox in the town your staying now so I'm expecting lots of calls! Just put George to bed, he wanted to pray that your having a good time which I'm sure you are! The school looks cool! Have you met any of the kids that are going to attend? I'm off to Soul Survivor tomorrow (Weds) but can't wait for the next call :) Love you loads, from Lois xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi David W,

    Just saw a wicked prank - a guy on a bungee jump is going through his final safety checks and the team running it say they have had some problems recently. Anyway they go down to the countdown - As soon as he lets go they all Scream "No not yet" and throw a rope over with a cut end which he sees as he goes down :) I know that will make you laugh. Hope this passes the blog editor :)

    I told Lois the news and she told me I shouldn't go around blabbing that kind of stuff - so you will have to wait another 5 weeks at least.

    Love Dad x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi David W,

    Another funny thing happened today. I came out of court and my shoe was broken. I was wondering where I could get that fixed. In Islington, now it's moved up market since I moved out last century, its all gone over to Starbucks and wine bars ! The very first shop I see is "Gordons Shoe Repairs" at the top of Exmouth Market. Do you know the statistical probability of meeting what you want first time ? And it was one of those old fashioned shoe shops :) The guy repaired it there and then for £3.50. God is good :) Keep working hard David and enjoy your time.

    Love

    Dad x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey anna its sophie!!!
    thanks so much for the postcard it was so nice! i hop youve managed to read my previous posts, i never know if they've worked or not :( anway i just came back from egypt it was so hot, i got really bad sunburn! ha. but im sure its not as hot as where you are, although on some days it was 45 degrees! ah! when are you back? im going to university on the 12th of september! but im sure your back a few weeks after that? i'll ask your mum and arrange to come back to see you when you return! :D i cant wait. anna ive missed you so much! sorry i dont write on here enough, i hope this one gets through to you. all my family are good, hope yours are okay, i must ring your mum, or facebook billy! ;) hahah. my sister got the job at my wok place too so now we work together until i leave for uni! ha, its like michael wisher all over again! ha, i hate working with food! see you soon i love you.

    sophie
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete