Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Sunday 15 August 2010

10E round-up

We're more than half-way through phase two. Doesn't time fly when you're having fun? Meanwhile at field base, it's been busy, busy, busy with plenty of comings and goings. But grabbing the keyboard with intent I (Marie) now bring you the news and messages.

01/08/10 - 13/08/10

Charlie One

Our new bunch of Charlies arrived safely in Koolal tribal village on the 1st August, accompanied by logistics manager extraordinaire, Jen. On the coach journey the group caught a glimpse of elephants. Arriving at the project site they caught sight of a whole lot of mud. The Charlies quickly set about putting tents up and digging trenches around them to keep dry. Attempts to keep clean proved futile and once the group had accpeted that fact, mud fights ensued!

Murugan's birthday on the 3rd August was celebrated with a banoffee pie and games. The next day it was Ben's birthday so a joint birthday party was held with tribal music and a 4kg cake. Earlier, the Charlies soaked up the torrential rain as they laid the foundations for a toilet. A day trip took the group to the Centre for Tribals and Rural Development (CTRD) to see a biogas plant - everyone was happy to escape the mud and to be clean and nicely dressed for a few hours! The Charlies also enjoyed a trip to the town of Sultan Battery in Kerala and a wildlife sanctuary.

Back on the project site a day was spent mixing cement, the floor of the school is near completion and the masons have begun working on the roof.

Messages from Charlie One

Louise

Dear Mum,

It was good to speak to you and Ed yesterday even though it was brief. Forgot to say to Ed please tell Dad I tried to call. Also send my love to Grandma - I hope she is recovering well. I hope Frances is OK too. Lots of love to you all. I am having a good time. Even though we are living in a mud pit I am enjoying the lack of leeches. Speak soon. Missing you all. Love Louise xxx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yvette

It's Yvette here! Was good talking to you yous yesterday! Gutted didn't speak to you Michael but I'm happy you managed to tape your TV thing - I was worried it was gonna be Crimewatch lol! Keep writing on the blog, get the packages in and send lots of sweeties! I love you all and missing yous loads and see you in less than 5 weeks!! Big hugs and kisses!

P.S. So proud of my 2 sisters and their smarts! Congratulations on passing your exams girls!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Natalie

Hiya everyone! Thank you for all my messages, keep them coming. Thanks Lyn for my message good to know your coping without me :-) Nicola I was gutted up you didn't answer the other day, heard you had the kids as well. Bad times. Can I have some more pictures of everyone please, I'm missing you all loads. I'm doing well not got ill yet, and not too bad blisters. Having a great time out here with everyone. Don't worry 'bout me. Love you all, Natalie xxxx xxxx

P.S. Chloe have a sexy holiday and send your juicy goss asap. Love love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Happy Birthday Murugan!

Happy Birthday Ben!

Louise and Gemma shifting sand

Yvette, Will and Scott take a break

Taylor and Nat take a breather too

Told you it was muddy

Charlie One jump to it


01/08/10 - 13/08/10

Echo Two

Lucky Echoes inherited a lovely campsite in Huskurhadi which they are putting their own stamp on. The beloved bashas had to be adjusted or reassembled before snooze time and once this task was accomplished the Echoes hot-footed it down to the reservoir for a splish splash. Upon their return they began digging a long drop. You may recall that the previous Echoes won the prestigious Golden Toilet Brush for their long drop artistry. Will Camp Coco's new residents also be flushed with success?

Despite it being monsoon season the group has enjoyed a good spell of hot weather. Cooling off in the reservoir is part of the daily routine, as the group set to work digging trenches at 6am and finishing before midday to avoid toiling during the hottest part of the day. A weekly treat is shopping for vegetables in Sargur for the creation of tasty camp cuisine. On the 2nd August, Camp Coco celebrated Luke's 21st birthday. Mary and Helen made him a tasty birthday cake and he was given a container of assorted sweets from field base.

Well-deserved rest days were spent at the Buddhist Golden Temple and Tibetan Refugee Settlement in Bylakuppe, Karnataka, and the Sringapatram Bird Sanctuary.

The Echoes have now dug all the holes for the fencing poles and dug 65m of trench. I had the pleasure of staying with Echo Two for a few days and will publish my memoirs shortly.

Breaking news: An investigation has been launched following the collapse of one of Echo Two's bashas. Unable to withstand a gust of wind it collapsed in a heap. It is not known whether the occupant was on the basha at the time. The victim is none too pleased with the camp craft of the basha's original occupant and is intent on discovering theiridentity. When the suspect was questioned by the comms officer, they responded with peals of villainous laughter.

Messages from Echo Two

Luke

Happy Birthday Ben! Hope you have a great day. Thanks everyone for you messages, I'm having an awesome time now digging elephant trenches in Huskurhadi. Miss you all. Bonjour, Luke x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jason

Hello everyone at home, this experience is amazing: at the moment I'm doing the environmental phase where I'm digging elephant trenches, also I'm up at 5am and work at 6 till 11:30am and then I'm chilling out by the reservoir. How's thing at home and write back. See you all soon. Love from Jason x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kiana

Archer Hill, my gnarly bandy, I hope you see this message as you coast through the site as I know you are. Hunting for any comments that might be left to you. I got your letter. Great stuff - you rule. Just to let you know, I sent my reply. Hope you get it soon. I know you're in Guyana so it may take a while for you to get it but it's cool. Mean thing about the sandwich from Delicious bit. Mean. It's definately on my list of things to eat when I get back. If I could have one now I would. As my song title goes, "I could if I would but I can't so I won't." Savage stuff. Have fun without me. I'll be back before you know it.

Mom, hey! I finally got that d and v. Getting better though...I think. Stomach still isn't up to par but getting there. See you next month.

Sincerely yours guitarist,

Kiana

P.S. Hey Pa; daddy still thinking of that les paul :-) I've taken a few nice pictures since Inida but nothing too serious. Sometimes I just can't bother though the scenery is lovely.  I hope you are still planning that snowboarding trip but we'll talk more later. Bye, Kiana

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reuna

Mama! Dea! and friends, missing you all immensely although I'm still taking it all in and think about you all everyday. I'm on the second phase which is environmental where I'm helping to dig large elephant trenches. This phase is not as muddy as community but the rain is still here. Hope your being a good girl Dea, aunty loves and misses you loads. Talk to you soon, take care of yourself Mama xoxo

 Reuna

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Birthday Luke!


Camp cookery with Helen and Mary

Stephen, get out of the long drop!

Off to work they go

An entrenched Reuna and Kiana


01/08/10 - 13/08/10

Tango Three

After 1.5 days travel,  fleet-footed Tango were dropped off in the Silent Valley, a unique preserve of rainforest. Arrivingsafely at Anthony's Camp they were treated to some dinner and yoga - but not at the same time. Buffetted by wind and rain, they summitted Misappulimala the second highest peak in southern India and relaxed as the sun set over the water.Elephants were in the area but they didn't pop in to say hello.

On the 5th August the group journeyed to Lakeside, where they built rafts and floated down the Anaerangal lake.Our intrepid trekkers then embarked on a 24km trek. On completion everyone was tired but happy and a food drop was warmly received as Tango arrived at Shantapara Camp.

The next four days saw the group ramble through the majestsic scenery of Chaturangappara, Pushpakandam, Karunapuram and Swttithuzhi. A rest day followed and then a day out in Kumili, where the group finally got to say hello to elephants. It is not known what the elephants said in return.

This phase the loop (field base's visits to project sites) didn't make it as far as Kerala so unfortunately at this point we currently have photos to share with you. However, messages will be coming through soon and rest assured, Tango Three are having a great time and are as happy as can be.

19 comments:

  1. Message for Natalie Dilloway.
    Loved hearing from you this morning so glad to talk to you I was starting to forget what you sounded like. Im glad your having a nice time and I will make sure that I send you some more goodies and things. Dean was surprised you said your missing him as well but I know he's missing you secretly too. He's like a concerned big brother - he saw your pictures said you look like you've lost weight its making your fig roll chin more prominent lol joke. Cant wait to see you im looking into getting a train to London so I can meet you and get the train back with you. Love you lots and keep working hard. Have fun love from Nicola and Dean xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This message is for Natalie, hi Lil how are you doing, i hear you are not getting on to well with all the mozzie bites. Hope they are not getting you down. We have been looking at all the photo's on the blog it's great to see what you are all getting up to, and glad to hear you are enjoying the experience and having a great time. I will be going to Karon's on tuesday but will check the blog from there. Still getting lots of people asking how you are and everyone still sending all thier love. Hoping to speak to you soon love you lots and still very proud of you, all our love Mum and Dad xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Natalie's mum here, just to let you know that we have sent a parcel to you today, it is our camera as yours is broken so hopefully it will get there soon. I am in the middle of packing for my trip to Karon's tomorrow, Stanley and Katie are getting very excited and they are looking forward to going on the aeroplane. Will update you soon and hope to hear from you soon all my love mum xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sacha-Li, It was great hearing your voice. You sounded so upbeat and happy. At 2.30am Bermuda time I can't say that I was as upbeat as you :-) but it was good hearing your voice. I guess it's safe to say that curry is not on the menu when you get back LOL... I hope you have pictures when you had your elephant ride... Granny, Oi, Kijuan, Xavi, Godma Pat send their love. Please take care and send me some more messages. love u Mom xoxoxoxo..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kiana,

    Sorry to hear that you had D&V but glad that you are on the mend. Your pictures show no sign of you having been sick. You are still smiling.. What's up with the hair? Do you comb it :-) I guess you will be cutting it off when you get back. You will be home before you know it.. I went county game on Saturday and Kijuan was the skipper, however Flatts lost by one wicket. It was a nail biter. I know why am I telling you about some cricket game lol... Have you heard anything from Sharon. When I spoke to her she was going to write you. I guess I should start some work. I miss you and Sach and can't wait for you to get back home.. lots of love mom. PS Toya, Toiyon, Xavi , Granny, Kijuan Oi send their Love... xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shona hope everything is going well, not long till you are back at base camp, hope your feet do not have too many blisters you never said what happened to your boots!!Hopefully your things will be waiting for you. I can't wait to see all your photos. Please check your normal e-mail as soon as you can. It is amazing how quickly the time goes although this past few weeks have been long without any word about you apart from the e-mail on your day of rest. Take care love you lots mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Mary,Echo 2.
    Hiya Mary!was so good to get news on the blog of how you're getting on and to hear it's all going well.Early mornings to avoid working in the hottest part of the day sounds good to me!Using your factor 30 I hope?!The birthday cake looks good!I haven't sent any parcels of goodies because the info sheet you left me said we're not allowed to.Hope this is ok.Take care,stay safe.Loads of love.Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. for gemma lyons:

    hey gem :)

    youve been blogged again! mwa ha ha!

    hope ur still doing ok building schools etc. man utd won their 1st game of the season 3-0 against newcastle. told u liverpools 1 point lead wouldnt last ;)

    oi im already looking 4ward to ur next phone call. its been nice hearing from you (as its been happening less often that usual the last few weeks). seems all blog messages have bits about how its nice to hear from peple. 4 weeks till ur home!! stay safe...

    ben

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen,
    great to read the blog update and see photos.- looks hard work but fun too.Also got your second letter at the weekend.Glad you haven't been ill and are having such a fantastic time. We're off on holiday tomorrow, back late next Wednesday the 25th. You'll be on the last phase by then. Miss you and love you lots Mum♥♥xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,it's Kiana and Sacha's dear old dad. Good to hear that you two are over your curry episode , yes mama told me :-) ,that couldn't have been cool at all, really felt for you....even though i haven't eaten any curry myself. Anyhoo i know you're havin fun ,seeing new places and meeting new people. Everyone sends love , Pop , Ma , Brenna , Taryn , Ezra and of course ME . Miss you girls LOTS , see you soon xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. David's Mum and Dad18 August 2010 at 15:13

    Hi David

    Glad you're having an amazing time, looking forward to seeing all the photos assuming the camera survives!

    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,Stephen,
    It's Billy,your brother.Oh,yes,it will be the name that I will use in university. Glad to see your photo on the blog,mum also see it. She wondered what the hole for, and so am IXD.Digging hole and trench for the elephants?Mum and dad are eager to know what have you done in these days^^
    My application of hall is sucessful, so sem 1 and sem2 I can have a chance to live in hall!
    My o camp will start from 24/8-31/8.Enjoy your trip and ntake care.Love from your brothers,mum and dad

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi murugan

    belated birthday wishes.how r u man?im fine here
    now im in chennai working for wings a e-learnning comp.i saw ur pict its very nice.i thank all ur foreign friends for visiting india. howz that fellow vijay?he told that he will send some photos to me still now i didnt got.ok anyway i will ask him in person. ok buddy take care we will meet soon in our chinese restaurent ;)tata bye

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey lil (Natalie) mum and the kids have been having a fab time over here we r all missing u loads but please with how well u r doing love u lots x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A message for my lil bro, Kyle Sharpe.

    Lovely to hear your voice, Jos was in bewilderment at the sound of it and all I heard for the remainder of the day was your name....gets a tad repetative after the 50th time!!!!

    All well at home, its Sams 18th today so we're out tonight for food. The house is up for sale...whoop whoop...Barry Town here we come.

    I've spoken to Loz who's really looking forward to your return, also going down to see the new pad next week, all very exciting.

    Now take care of yourself, live every minute with no time to spare, have no regrets and always keep a smile on that pretty face. Love n miss you tons n tons n tons and can't wait to see you. Muchus lovus, Stacey, Mathew & Josie Rose xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey lil (Natalie) just want to say I'm so proud of ya and u r doing a great job out there, well mum and the kids have been here for 4 dys and we r having a fantastic time, every time it's day they say "o" anty lil is asleep now(bless em) they r having a fab time and we are at a childrens summer cabaret show for them tonight, they have face painting and kids disco which they r loving at the moment, I don't want them to go back but think I'll be glad of the rest when they do lol, well off for niw babes, keep up the good work and have a ball while u r there as it's Soon back to the grind stone when your home rofl
    Love u loads and see u soon x x x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Louise (Charlie One or have you changed again?) - Mum here.
    Just to let you know that we are back from Wales having had a wonderful week of green fields, mountains, waterfalls, sheep, walks, shared cooking and boggle. Nothing like the mud you have been having fun in! Have sent you an email in case you get to the internet cafe again before the next project. Hope it goes well. Only 3 weeks left! Can't wait to see you, but enjoy your time while you have it!
    Lots of love, Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. For Gemma Lyons:

    Hi Gem! Hope all is well. I saw some pics of you on here - looks like you're having a great time.
    BIG NEWS....Anna and Steve are engaged!!! He proposed the day after his birthday, down on one knee and everything. He even asked her dad's permission! So cute! The ring is gorgeous.

    Cant wait to see you when you're home.
    Lots of love
    Yvette xxxxxx

    PS. Liverpool lost 3-0 last night to Man C. Sad times :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey yvette! Teeny here! Not sent you a message in ages, schools catching up on me! I'm loving it though for the first time! Starting to get double classes now so times flying by, Good teachers aswell :) Im missing you like mad really want to see you! When you get back we'll have a roll and sausage with tottie scone waiting for you! Oh and me of course, What could be better!? Thanks for being proud, well chuffed with my exam results. I'm really proud of you aswell! Your doing brilliant, keep up the hard work misses! Got A LOT to tell you when you get back so tonnes of goss for you! Miss and love you!

    Teeny :) xxx

    ReplyDelete