Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Sunday 14 February 2010

Maha Shivarathri

As promised I want to share my experience of Maha Shivarathri which means ‘the night of Shiva’ and is the Hindu festival in honour of Lord Shiva. It is believed that those who utter the name of Shiva during Shivrah with utmost devotion are freed from all sins. I like the concept and I am eager to witness the festival first hand.



The route to the temple is along a dusty muddy red path and is surrounded by sparse scorched fields. The only house in view is one to the left of the temple and a handful of locals sit outside their front door enjoying the warmth of the sunset chatting merrily.







I am impressed by the ornate colourful statues of the gods which sit row by row covering the outside of the temple and I take time to study the paintings of the gods riding tigers whilst Vijay our host country venture coordinator politely explains my presence to the men on the door who smile encouragingly at me with interest.




I remove my shoes and enter the temple with silence, caution and self awareness to ensure that I am following the many rules of etiquette that formulate the Indian culture. Although my presence is slightly disruptive as many of the younger children are fascinated by having a western visitor and they conceal their intrigue rather less than the older members of the community. I take a seat on the floor and again it is the array of colour that strikes me, the colourfulness of the saris of the women and children who are sat in two aisles facing the abhisheka and the rows of marigold yellow, white jasmine and pink hibiscuses which make up the flower garlands draped around the temple. I presume that the locals understand the low chant of prayer as milk, honey and water are washed over the shivlinga but later I discover that the prayers are in Sanskrit. I watch respectfully, fascinated taking time to listen to the rhythmic chanting and breathing in the scented air reflecting on my surroundings before Vijay signals to me that it is time for us to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment