Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Monday 2 February 2009

News from abroad: PPV visit reports


Special guest blogger: Deputy Programme Manager Dani Esterhuysen.

Hello everyone. Well Field Base has been rather quiet as all the Raleigh India 09C Project Managers are out on site across the Tamil Nadu and Karnatakan States of Southern India.



I've spoken to the PMs at all four of our new sites and they've given me the update so read on! Alpha 1 trekkers had a brilliant day and summited the second highest mountain outside of the Himalayas! They then had a well deserved rest with a cup of tea from the highest tea plantation on the planet! Tonight we can be sure they are sleeping sound in their elephant proof tree house.



Our Alpha 2 group working on the Kappikadu community project have amused the local villagers by going swimming (intentionally), and being chased by cows! They reported, 'today we had the best curries of our lives'! This picture shows some of the community members that we will be building eco sanitation units for.


Alpha 3 have had some excellent community meetings, and were welcomed with a tribal dance and flowers around their necks. To the left is a traditional tribal house.





Last but not least Alpha 4 have been doing a reccee of the Anaikatty environmental project. More to come from all of these when Peta our talented PR officer is back tomorrow.




To all of those venturers joining us in a few days - we look forward to welcoming you, a great adventure awaits.

5 comments:

  1. Hello everyone! Hope you are having a fantastic time on your PPVs. Reading this blog and looking at the photos are bringing back some great memories - I just wish I was there rather than undergoing the daily battle to get to work in the sleet/snow/freezing rain.

    Missing you all - love to Julia, Ivan, VJ, Gavin, Mark, Amanda, the Manjus, Giresh, basically everyone from 08I. Have a fantastic expedition!

    Ros x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi daughter is going to India and I am trying to find how to send messages to her using the site. Is it from here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Coxy,

    Thanks for your msg.

    Good to hear from you. At FB, it has been pouring down constantly for 7 days (it is meant to be the dry season here!) until today and now I am lobster red for all the sunbathing and swimming. So glad to see the sun. Absolutely fab.

    Did my first radio duty last night... eek!

    Keep me updated with what you are up to... I see you are part of Alpha 1... tell me more! I am looking forward to phase 2 and 3 not sure what I will be doing yet. We have a great group of venturers, should be a laugh.

    Been watching Jackass 2.5 in the staff room, those guys are mad! There is a scene from India made me think of you... met any snakecharmers, elephants etc ?

    Speak soon Anna 'Pura Vida' x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Lucy Holloway! Still collecting stones I see, just like you & dad always used to on every holiday. This time you can take them to your own house so I won't have to secretly put them in the garden. Kaiser chiefs were brill on Tuesday & it's the Ting Ting next mon. Gord left a message on the phone - sounded rather inebriated - He had his mom & friends round I think, or something like that. Hope you are OK, you are looking more tired everytime I cu, or are they taking shots unexpectedly. Anyway don't put the paint on upside down. Weather much warmer, the birds are singing their heads off; but colder weather forcast for next week, so vest staying put. Sorry if I'm embarresing you, but that's what I'm for. Missing you. Lots of love Momsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lucy Holloway. Sun Morning March 1st. Am waiting for dad to come a walk in the park but he's messing with the brick path again soI might not get there. I'm going to book at the boathouse today for jean's 70th. It will be on sun 26th April and i'm booking places for you N Gord. Gord left a message again - we keep missing each other. Have tried to contact Janet thru facebook but I haven't a clue what I'm doing. . Hope she doesn't have to move for a new job. I'm not having much luck with this blogsight either. I can never work out how to find everything. (what's new). Have you sent a message 'cause I haven't seen one, but have seen one from Gord. Anytway dad's finally returned so I'll. Enjoy yourself. Lots of love momsy

    ReplyDelete