Welcome to the official blog for Raleigh India 12I | July - August 2012



Welcome to the Official Blog for Raleigh India 12J September - December 2012.



Friday 1 April 2011

Building, biking and banter...


Greetings from a very frantic field base. We are scarily close to the end of expedition now which means everyone is busy getting ready for the return of the project teams, who are also are digging, trekking and building like mad to get all the work finished before they come back to us.

I have just returned from what will be our last loop trip to see Charlie 1 in Vellary and Tango 6 at their camp in Kerala and its all come around too quickly! Here’s what I got up with the teams starting with the guys in Charlie 1.

We were welcomed in Vellary with smiling faces and tasty fresh chai from the family that the group are building a house for. the village has changed a fair bit since our first visit in phase 1 as the teams have built two new houses and three biogas units in the village. 

The night before our visit, the teams helped out at the opening ceremony of the house that was built by all three groups on this expedition. It was really emotional for everyone to see the family move out of the tarpaulin shelter that they had been living in and into the freshly decorated house. 

How the house looked at the start of expedition ten weeks ago.

The finished house that the family have now moved into.


The finished house and biogas unit that the family can now use.
The whole village attended plus about another 100 from surrounding villages to the housewarming party and Kate and Dave were honoured with turning on the biogas supply to the house. The team then helped to prepare and serve the food for the 100 visitors, much to the amusement of the locals that knew them.

The Raleigh cows had also also moved into their new cow shed that was built by the phase 2 group so they’ll soon be creating the fuel for the family to use in their home instead of having to use an open fire.

The cows now in their new home built and decorated by the phase 2 group.


The cowshed that the phase 3 group are working on.

The group's challenge now is to build another house by the end of this phase for Falcon and his family who are the other family in the village living in a tarpaulin shelter as their home was washed away during a monsoon in 2009. Falcon and his friends and family are all working with the team on the house and we arrived just as they were holding a blessing ceremony for the front door of the house. James was day leader and the team were working pretty quickly so I think they’ll get it all sorted before they leave.

The blessing for the entrance of the house.


The house that the group are working on.


The tarpaulin shelter that Falcon and his family are currently living in.


Holly, Louisa and Laura


Sean


Back row L - R Qathab (project partner) Wieger, Emily, Sean
Front row L - R Holly, Falcon, Louisa, Laura


The group are camping in the village outside one the family houses.




PM's Dave and Kate at their camp in the next house along. 


Kate and Dave who have been given the nicknames of Aunty and Uncle by the family they’re working with? I was asked twice, ‘Where is uncle’ and have only now realised that they were asking for Dave.

Dave (PM) and one of the villagers they've been working with.


Charlie 1 with Qathab from our project partner, CTRD
Back row L - R Felx, Jess, Genevieve, Louisa, Sean, Wieger, Anne-Romee
Front row L - R James, Laura, Sheena, Kate (PM), Qathab, Dave (PM), Thatte, Emily, Richard, Holly
We took out the group’s mail from field base and I’d just like to say a personal thank you to whoever sent Laura the marshmallows, they were incredible!

After spending the morning with a very happy team at Charlie 1, it was time to get back on the road and head over to the meet Tango 6 at their camp at the Periya peak. Not far from the camp we went through the village of Periya and were lucky enough to stumble across a festival they were having that day which was amazing to see.







After a frantic few minutes at the festival we emerged from the crowds and headed further up the hill to meet the trekkers. As we arrived the group were playing cricket with the locals and being watched by a couple of water buffalo.



It was a beautiful campsite for the night, and Karen (the day leader) and Lucy cooked up some tasty noodles as the fireflies came out to play. Much of the talk that night was of the moment during that day’s trek when Louis had slipped during a river crossing and taken a dip into the water. Despite the fact he and his bag were wet through he took it all in his stride and laughed the whole thing off, and for many it was the funniest moment of the day.

Karen, Georgia, Cas, Rachel and Lottie do some group massage to ease those aching shoulders from the day's trek.


Meanwhile Eleri (PM) and Georgia indulge in the more glamorous task of washing up.

The next morning it was time for them to ditch the backpacks for a day and head off for a 40k cycle ride to their next camp. I was lucky enough to join the group for the first few hours which was just brilliant. There were some pretty steep hills to get up but the scenery on the way was stunning and a welcome distraction from the burning thigh pain.





Lois demonstrates how to dry your clothes when you've fallen into a river the previous day. Simply wrap a bungee around your waist, hang your wet clothes off it and then cycle for 40k - job done.


Rachel very excited about the day's activity.


Cas and Andrew


Danielle


Tango 6 just before heading off
L - R Eleri, Karen, Ben, Cas, Philip, Louis, Georgia, Eeva, Danielle, Andy, Georgia, Lottie, Rachel, Lucy, Becca, James, Alex


Nadin, the guide from Muddy Boots, leads us up one of a fair few hills.




The PMs and Muddy Boots guides with Prashanth and I
I had a fantastic time with the group that morning, they're a great bunch and they're pretty quick on two wheels. We'll catch up with them again soon when they come back to field base in only a few days, eek...

The sponsorship is still coming through for the run taking place on Monday, I think it's fair to say we're all totally under prepared and terrified at the prospect but we'll get round the route somehow even if we're still running when the next expedition arrives in June. Thanks to those new sponsors, we're really chuffed with the total that has been raised so far and there's still a few more days to go so if you did want to sponsor us then just use the link below and it should be pretty straight forward...

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/raleighindia11a

Thanks again!

Here are the messages I picked up from them...

Charlie 1

From Holly Peel
To Mum, Edward and Kate
Dear Mum, I sent you an email recently but I take it that you didn’t receive it. I’m currently having lunch after a morning of house building. Community has been incredible so far, it’s a shame it’s almost over.
The email said that I’d been to a local festival where they put spikes through their mouths and were suspended in the air by hooks in their backs. Tell Kate and Edward I miss them lots and am looking forward to seeing you all very soon. I can’t wait to tell you all about India. Miss you loads, love from Holly xxx

From Anne-Romee Coebergh
To Families Coebergh
Lieve allemaal, Goed jullie geoproken te hebben! Tripje naar Ooty uitgesteld tot as. Di & woe dus dan laat il wel weer even van me horen. Hier alles goed, gezondheid steeds beter. Mensen in hot dorp fantastisch  en het werk is weinig maar leuk. Kan nauwetlis geloven dat dit avontuur al byna voorby is Heeeeeel veel leejs xxx Anne-Romee

From Wieger van Rinkhuyzen
To M, P and D
Lieve 3, als juillie dit lezenben ok waarschynlyk byna thuis! Ik geniet van de laatste dagen Community. Bedankt voon alle blogberichten! Veel lliefs aa Opa. Koeschuun en biogas zyn nu klaar. Werkaen hard aan het huis! Smakken en 1000 knuffels, Wieger

From Genevieve McAreavey
To Francesca Lloyd
Franki! I am happy to hear from you, I am so sad I have not got your letter yet. How long are you on Easter break for? I need to plan a get together when I get back, miss you all so much. Cannot wait to show you my tan, it’s so funny. Community phase is just awesome, the food is so good, the family let me help them most nights so will need to cook you some Indian food when I get back. Just got a parcel from my Dad so I’m currently munching through some strawberry laces, luxury! You have to come on Orange Wednesday when I’m back ok. Love you and miss you xxxxxxx Genevieve 

From Genevieve McAreavey
To John and Liz McAreavey
Heya, don’t know if you have blogged me, but no blogs through from you. But I did get your parcel Dad, yum yum! Pancakes for dessert tonight. Dad how was your birthday; did my card arrive in time? Mum what is grancha postcode? Has been so great in Vellary, yesterday I was putting the walls up of the house we are building it’s such a satisfying job. The bio-gas unit is completed which is amazing timing so only the house to focus on now and we really wanna get it finished before we leave. Going on a trip to Ooty tomorrow to go on a tiger safari so hopefully we might see some tigers and elephantsJ. I think I will need a dentist appointment when I get back the food is so sugary and am worried I’m gonna get my first filling. Love you so much and let me know what’s happening back at home. Is teagus still at Loch Ness? Oh and Dad will we still be able to plant some veg in the veggy garden, have you put anything in already? Oh how is the green house plan? Love you so much! Xxxxxxxx Genevieve

From Richard Smith
To Anyone that reads this blog Mum etc
Fit like ya bunch of maddies forter likes alike, not long till I arrive on the plane to Gatwick and see all your glam faces, as you have had to endure cold weather for three months, anyway enough rubbing it in. I’m now on the Community phase which is amazing and for me it was what the fundraising was all about, the money raised has gone towards building a house, biogas and a cow shed with 2 cows etc. I’m site mason which means I’m the boss, just kidding J. See you all soon, love Rich x 

From Louisa Mohsen


To Sammie
Hello! I sent you a letter a few days ago so you’ll probably get it in a couple of weeks. I’m on community phase now and it’s such a contrast to my trekking phase. We’ve just finished digging a very, very, very big hole for a biogas unit and a cow shed for a family we’re camping with. We’re camping on a family’s door step and they cook us lunch and dinner, I always go up for 3rds, such a pig! Are you planning anything for your birthday? I’ll be thinking of you. I’ll be travelling in 2 weeks, still haven’t worked out a proper plan but am really looking forward to it...pretty sad to leave Raleigh though... Speak soon x x x


Tango 6
From Danielle Sharpe
To All friends and family
Hello! Can you believe I’ll be home in just over a week! Just wanted to send a final message to let you know I’m going ok. On trek at the moment, it’s hard work each and every day but I’m enjoying it! It will be so nice to get back and see you all and live a western lifestyle again – I’m in definite need of a holiday and spa ha ha. Miss you and love you all x x x

From Rachel Smith
To All friends and family
Hello everyone! Only 1 week until I’m home, crazy! Can’t believe I’ve survived but missing everyone back home so I’ll be expecting a big catch up dinner when I get back haha! Trek is amazing and definitely my favourite phase and the thought of mac and cheese is keeping me going – hint hint sandeman! Missing everyone loads and give Calleb a big cuddle3 from me.. Lots of love Rachel x x x

From Andrew Richardson
To All
HI All. With now just over a week left of Raleigh, the impossible challenge looks set to be completed. Trekking is amazing, sites and scenery weighted with the strain of carrying baggage. Seen many wild animals including some vicious dogs. Really excited about coming home now and catching up on stuff.

From Georgi Zervudachi
To Alex
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I know you should have got my letter by now and I’ve said it to you at every opportunity I’ve had but I hope you have an AWESOME day full of fun and amazingness. Looking forward to seeing you as soon as I get back! Tonnes of love x x x

From James Bell
To Mom and Dad
Thank you for the blog message! I haven’t had the time to contact expedia just yet so I will try and sort things out on Sunday, the end of phase 3 day. Trek has been really hard yet quite rewarding and worthwhile so I’m having a great time. I’ve reached a point if missing quite a few things from home now, which I can’t wait to get back to but I’m loving the heat here so I’m making the most of it! Also on Sunday I’ll try and phone you again so I’ll give you updates then, Hope everyone is well, Lots of love James x x x
PS I haven’t shaved since the end of phase 2 so I look rough , you’d be proud.

From James Bell
To Rachel
Hey Rachel! I got all your messages today and they all made me happy
J Trek is still going really well and each day seems to be getting easier as time goes by which is a relief! We’ve done quite a lot already including scaling some mountains, biking 40km (More to come tomorrow and on Sat) survival day (yesterday) and rafting so like I said, it’s all going great. Reading festival line up sounds good, I’m looking forward to it, but I’m looking forward to seeing you most! I’m not sure if you’ll be on hol now but I’ll try and phone you on Sunday anyhow. Be safe and I hope you have a fun time. Lots of love James x x x
PS I haven’t rebooked my flight yet so I have to sort out travel plans still.

From Lucy Curzon
To Catherine Playfair
Dear Catherine, thanks you so much for your message! It was so nice to hear from you. Brilliant that you’ve been enjoying Wind up bird, it really is incredible isn’t it. Trek is wonderful, can’t wait to tell you all about it. Please let’s meet soon after I’m back! Text me if you’ve got a working phone or email/facebook me. Miss you so much and so sorry you couldn’t so the trek this time around. But next year! You will love it. I think of you lots and your blog message made my day, so thank you. Lots of love, Lucy x x x

From Georgia Zervidachi
To Mum
Trek is amazing – very hard but incredible. Unfortunately my camera has broken but lots of photos are being taken so I will get the copies once I get back. The boots are amazing and doing well – very few blisters walking 13.5km every day and treading in elephant poo regularly, SW coastal path sounds fantastic! One of my PMs this time round is an actress from Cornwall... talk about small world! Well done with your presentation and working out how to use a computer! The moon shadow here is unbelievable – you wouldn’t be able to sleep a wink! Am I rotad in to work the weekend when I get back? I’m really looking forward to it. So much! Shall I email Ginny and Clive do you think? Hope Alex is choosing well and hope is having fun, I’ll email some more food requests once I leave raleigh! Please can you tell Izzy I’ve just got her letter and I’ll facebook her soon. Tonnes of love Georgia x x x

From Georgia Zervidachi
To Jamie
Trek is hot – its hit 42 degrees but it’s INCREDIBLE and AMAZING. There is/was an echo letter, hopefully it isn’t lost because it’s a good ‘un. Glad you liked the Charlie letter – trek is so different, I don’t know how to begin to describe it... I hope the work isn’t to arduous and I’m sure your stories are v cool. I miss you very much too. I’m glad you caught it, I’ve been worried you wouldn’t. Hope you’re well and dandy. Love Georgia x x x x

From Alex Vostanis
To Emily
Hey! Firstly, good luck with the driving test – just keep calm! I hope a-levels aren’t still too stressful, I know you’ll be getting into the seeing of it now. I’m absolutely loving trek, it’s amazing, I’ve tried to keep up with hygiene , probably lost a lot of my civilised ways. Also I’ll be back now on the 21st April . I’ll be travelling to Goa, Mumbai then Delhi then back to Bangalore for the flight back. Will speak properly in a few days Vozzy x x x

From Alex Vostanis
To Phyllida and Kimon
Wassup siblings! Not long now until I grace my presence with you guys again! Hope everything is good back home and school doesn’t suck too much. Hopefully Kimon had a wicked birthday and got some sick presents and as a fellow brother he’s  i) not broken the xbox and ii) done a background check on his sister’s new boyfriend. And Phyllida’s ‘enjoying’ A-levels and the new found freedoms of driving lessons, don’t get too comfy on that sofa and with the TV remote, I know you won’t have any opposition from Kimon. Will speak soon love Granga.

From Georgia Brooke-Hitching
To Sophie Sherlock
Sounds fab, go ahead with it – you sound so organised – I’m just looking forward to a real bed after camping for 7 weeks. Speak soon! I’ll talk on 3rd April x x x

From Georgia Brooke-Hitching
To Maman and Daddy
Thank you for all the amazing cards and than Susie and Catherine for me! Tan is getting there steadily. Biking 49km today! Only a week left of trek – it seems to have flown although been quite tough too. So much to tell you! Spent my birthday at a haunted house and the man’s shoes were still laid out! I have to pack up now for our biking day but I shall ring you on 3rd April. Lots of love G xx x x
PS Please give Sophie my canon camera charger in techi box

From Georgia Brooke-Hitching
To Tilda McDonald
Thank you for all the amazing news! You are my hero and I love hearing your little dilemmas my little pumpkin. I love what you said about the date guy maybe he thinks you’re playing hard to get! Don’t have much space here but I shall get internet hopefully on 3rd April. Chat then. Love you more than tinned cheese
J x x x x Brookie

19 comments:

  1. Louisa Charlie 1

    Hey! Haha back for 3rds I'm glad you haven't changed! :D you must work up a big appetite with all the hard work you're doing! I bet the trekking was horrible! We used to find it hard just walking to the cinema! haha.

    I haven't planned anything for my birthday yet I've got a couple of ideas.. I want to go to one of the pottery painting shops or go to London. I'm gonna be missing you even more on my birthday. 2nd birthday missed hope this is not gonna become a new tradition! lol

    I know what half of my present is from my mum and dad.. tickets to see Steve-O in July! Best present ever! I'm sure you can guess how happy that made me.. feeding my addiction even more! Maybe you would like to come with me?

    The traveling sounds exciting! I love looking at the pictures of you on here.. you look so different! Looking forward to hearing from you again. Take care! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Message for Anne-Romee, Charlie 1
    Lieve schat, prachtige foto's weer en leuk om te zien wat jullie gebouwd hebben en hoe jullie in de "tuin" kamperen. Geniet nog van de laatste dagen bij Raleigh en daarna in Incredible India. Tot snel in Bangkok! xxx Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. James Bell - tango 6.
    Hola James!! Que pasa!! Having a nice time in fuertaventura...tan is coming along nicely but probably not as nicely as yours!! I'm so happy that you're enjoying your trekking. The biking sounds so much fun. Hopefully you'll be able to sort out flights on Sunday. I'm really sorry but my phone isn't set up abroad so you probably won't be able to get through to me! I can access wifi at a local bar so you can always send me a Facebook message instead... Not as good but better than nothing?? You're coming home in a few weeks and I'm soo excited like a child on christmas day!! Enjoy the last few days of the trek!!! Love you lots xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Ben on Tango 6 - Good to see you on your bike about to head off on a 49Km ride - like the helmet - Raleigh have had more success than I have over the last 19 yrs! Still haven't got yr letter so fear it may be lost. Do call us if you can on 3rd April - mothers day here so it would be really good to hear from you. Have sponsored yr run - sounds like it could be really tough in that heat. Love Mum, Dad, Charlotte and Miranda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert Nolan

    I am in New York and flying back tonight (it's snowing here again - on 1st April!
    You will be delighted to know that Cardiff has offered you a place (subject to sending copies of IB grades which has been sent to you by Malvern). Pleased???!!!

    After prompting brookes requested your portfolio this week so should hear in the next two weeks but i guess that doesnt matter???

    Hope you have enjoyed the final phase and it wont be long before you get home to cooler weather!

    Well done Old Boy!!!

    Daddy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. to sean cullinane charlie 1
    hi ya sean how ya doing just seen the website you look well doing some work glad your having a great time,the weather back here has been windy and rain with a bit of sunshine it's teatime now and it's stopped everybodys still asking after you,only a few days left to enjoy your self have a good time we are all ok back home i'll send another message take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Scott Rae....Echo 3
    Well you are on the last lap now and just the 10k run to go!! I bet its quite emotional when you all meet up at base camp and have so many stories to share. I have just spent a few days in Lanark with the Boyds. Jamie is soooo cute. I'm hoping to take you there on Fri. I'm sure you're dying to see him (and Jen of course!) We're having a quiet weekend and just can't wait to see you on Wed. Will take your car for a wee spin tomorrow to make sure its all fired up for you coming home! Enjoy yor last few days and good luck with the run on Mon! Till Wed... Love Mum x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad that it is all coming to an end but what a great job you have all done! The little white house built for the "tarpaulin" family is just lovely--could live in it myself!
    I loved reading all the info'(mostly I think from Jenny)and loved all the photos (mostly taken by Kathryn)There should be more people like the Raleigh crowd in this world.Congratulations to all who took part and good luck for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. to fieke haak, tango 5. Tweede poging,.. pc begint kuren te krijgen. Ha lieverd, raar idee dat je er weer bijna bent. Laatste blogje. Hopelijk heb je genoten van je laatste week trek. Hier alles goed, je kamer is in orde en we treffen voorbereidingen voor je thuiskomst...heerlijk weer hier, hoop woensdag ook, dan valt de temperatuurschok nog een beetje mee. Kusss we smsen. mam

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Sophie Lethier
    Bonjour ma chérie!
    On se dit que tu vas Ăªtre bien triste de quitter Raleigh, profite bien de tes derniers jours. On a sponsorisĂ© la course mais surtout ne te sens pas obligĂ©e de la faire, pas de problème.
    Ici on va très bien, on a emmené Juju voir un ballet comme on avait fait avec toi, c'était Le Lac des Signes, c'était très beau!!
    A très bientôt. Il nous tarde d'avoir de tes nouvelles.
    On t'embrasse très fort M and D and Ju

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Elliott Leishman Tango 5
    Hi Elliott lovely to see more pics of your adventure, hope you are well and that you have enjoyed your last phase trekking. Received your email the other day, and have sent one back to you, so check emails. Thank you also for the lovely message concerning Mother's Day, I will certainly be thinking of you. Good luck on your 10k run. Keep in touch lots of love Mum and Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Louisa Mohsen

    Hi Babe,

    I've been looking through the new photos of you, and you're looking very happy. Not long until you go travelling now! And then not long until you come home!! I can't believe you're nearly at the end now. The time has gone so quickly. I'm looking forward to hearing about your 10km run! You're going to be so fit when you return.

    I'm at work at the moment...bore. Have had a great first week of the holidays. Yesterday Nichola, Laura, Sinead and I went shopping to Oxford street with Nichola's 25% discount...a fortune was spent! Though need to knuckle down and get all this work I have to do.

    Lots of love,

    Lucy xxxx

    PS. The weather has really picked up here now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Richard Charlie 1

    Hi boss man lol. Soon be finished your adventure. Your train to Arbroath is booked for the 12th. Kayleigh has started her fundraising so looks like she is serious about it. Good luck with your 10k run. See you soon Lots of love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  14. To James Hollins

    Hi James, Welcome back to base camp! We have just seen the photos on the blog of the finished house, cow shed and the house you were building it looks absolutely fabulous. Hope you got your house completed. I cant believe Raleigh is almost over,and can wait to see you again and hear all about India, mid May isn't that far away! Hope to hear from you tomorrow Sunday and next week when you leave. I shall miss logging on to the Raleigh blog its been wonderful seeing photos of what you have all been up to. I broke up for easter yesterday go back end of April, going to see Grandad with Sarah next Thursday for a week. Lots and lots of love, thinking of you loads, take care especially when you go travelling and keep in touch on facebook with Tom or Sarah whenever you can. Mum xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Martyn Parry Echo 4
    Hi Son I see you have managed to get yourself an India cricket shirt did you manage to watch any of the final it was a great run chase and i bet some party after, where did that ten weeks go remember what I have always said you can't buy memories you have to make them you and your fellow ventures have certainly done that. Mum and I are looking forward to seeing give us a ring when you can speak soon.
    Mum & Dad xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Richard Charlie 1
    Hi Uncle Richard. I am at your house bothering Gran. I am looking forward to seeing you again after your huge adventure in India. from your photographs it looks like you have had a lot of fun. love Sean

    ReplyDelete
  17. to lauren smith.

    hi lauren i hope you get this message in time before you leave, can you ring home because i have found a cheap flight to goa in india but i need to talk to you and check if you will be there the same time otherwise im going straight to thailand. i need a definate yes or no from you. speak soon-ive sent you a message on facebook and email as well. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sheena Charlie 1

    ..aaanndd...you did it!....well done...so good you did this....can't wait to see you when you get back..see the new sheena.....well proud of you....love you loads
    mum & nita

    ReplyDelete
  19. To Georgia Brooke-Hitching, Tango 6

    Oh most illustrious of the Tango-Sixians. I hope this message finds you in tolerably good health, and that the weather in the East is most excellent. (My family has been quoting Austen all week so I'm in the mood to do a bit of jolly old satire.)

    I have perused this blog closely to find which of my epistles have found their way to you, and to discover, if I am able, what missives you might have left for my eyes. And lo and behold (going off the Austen route here and heading towards the Bible) I find that you have mentioned 'the date boy.' Indeed, I cannot recall what I last told you of my romantic (ish) fate, but I'm sure I was most truthful and declared my intentions to sever all connexions (YES, she spells it like that) with said gentleman.

    On quite another topic, I have had the delight of passing my preliminary examinations for the academic year. Wonderous news, I'm sure you agree. (Massive advantage of one-way blogging is that I can assume you agree, because you can't contradict me.)

    Yours faithfully, sincerely, and your humble servant, Miss Tilda etc etc

    ReplyDelete